Any advice on fixing my wireless problems?

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Just so you get an idea of my setup. My cable-to-modem location is in the corner of my house connected to a router which then is connected to a desktop that does not have wireless capabilities. I know you never want your router in the corner of your house, but I can’t really move it because it is connected to my parents’ computer in their room. I also have a wireless extender in the center of our house so that I can access the internet from my bedroom on the opposite side of the house. Before I left for school everything was working great (ping of 40ms jitter of 5ms from across the house) minus my twitch app for my iPad not working off of the wireless extender. Now that I’m back, I’m experiencing consistent lag spikes on both the wireless extender and the router. When this occurs my pingtest results show jitter up to 40ms. I wondered if my parents added any electronic equipment while I was gone and they told me they hadn’t. I’m a little lost at how worse the wireless connection has gotten when nothing has changed. I figure it still somehow has got to be interference, but I don’t know where to start in fixing it. Any and all help is appreciated!

Ok. So, I downloaded inSSIDer Office. In the link, Morton is my router and the repeater is on channel 1. There seems to be 1 network overlapping and 1 network co-channeled with my router. My router's channel setting is its default "auto." I tried unplugging my repeater to see if my router would jump to channel 1, but it remained on channel 6. Seeing that my repeater's connection is based on my routers connection, I figure the reverse configuration would be better for the network? Any further recommendation with my current status?
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t602/andrewfmorton/f42c080e-fbf5-4a01-b785-85df832844de_zps4da39de4.jpg

Solution
Channel 1 is the strongest signal, probably your repeater but you are connecting to channel 6, which is weaker and is probably causing your issue.

I would go into the network control panel, manage wireless networks, and move the network on 1 above the Morton network on 6 if it is indeed your repeater connection.

If you have a problem just delete both, restart your computer and re-detect the available networks and select the network on channel 1. That should help improve your connection.

RealBeast

Titan

inSSIDer is great for exactly that -- and often you will find some knucklehead neighbor running 2.4GHz N with channel bonding two 20MHz channels into one wide one, which kills it for everybody around.

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

What would you recommend I do? I posted a link to what my inSSIDer looks like in my description update. I tried putting my router on channel 1 and moving my repeater to the channel my router had defaulted to originally (6) and that made the connection worse. I assume I can't have both signals on channel 1 because then they would conflict with one another.

RealBeast

Titan
Channel 1 is the strongest signal, probably your repeater but you are connecting to channel 6, which is weaker and is probably causing your issue.

I would go into the network control panel, manage wireless networks, and move the network on 1 above the Morton network on 6 if it is indeed your repeater connection.

If you have a problem just delete both, restart your computer and re-detect the available networks and select the network on channel 1. That should help improve your connection.

Solution

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

That's because I'm currently sitting inbetween my router and repeater. I realize that my repeater has a stronger connection right now, but even when I connect to it I still have the lag issues that I hadn't experienced before returning home. That's why I think that the problem lies in the router signal. The connection going to the router seems to be fine, but the signal coming from it isn't and I think that the problem is being relayed through the repeater so that both suffer from the same symptoms. I really appreciate your help!

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I factory reset both the router and repeater. Put them back in their locations and went in and setup everything like I did about a year ago. Everything seems to be functional. My Twitch App is even working lol. Thanks Beast for trying to help me out.

TRENDING THREADS