[SOLVED] Any advice on how to reduce my cpu temp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 26, 2021
I have an ASUS Z490-A motherboard with an i9-10850k chip. I am cooling it with a be quiet dark rock TF but it is still running at upwards of 90 degrees Celsius when playing certain games, namely Call of duty Warzone.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Interesting that this came up today.

'Pea sized drop' of thermal paste is usually far too much. I have a thermal compound roundup coming out in coming days which has some visuals on size of blob which is ideal. Most of this comes down to a rounded drop that is 3-4mm in diameter, too much is excess and likely will be pushed out or can accumulate under the cooler if cooler mounting tension isn't high enough.

The Tom's cooling system is also an i9-10850k. 4.6ghz (all 10 cores) at 1.190v. Most motherboards which provide one-setting overclocking or utilities that do so, often set vCore too high for the sake of stability over thermals.

I restored the default settings but the cpu is still attempting to run at 4812 Mhz.

Likely only 1 core, though, not all cores, which would be a big difference. Download and use HWInfo and see what is defined for your core speeds.

Jan 26, 2021

'Pea sized drop' of thermal paste is usually far too much. I have a thermal compound roundup coming out in coming days which has some visuals on size of blob which is ideal. Most of this comes down to a rounded drop that is 3-4mm in diameter, too much is excess and likely will be pushed out or can accumulate under the cooler if cooler mounting tension isn't high enough.

The Tom's cooling system is also an i9-10850k. 4.6ghz (all 10 cores) at 1.190v. Most motherboards which provide one-setting overclocking or utilities that do so, often set vCore too high for the sake of stability over thermals.

Likely only 1 core, though, not all cores, which would be a big difference. Download and use HWInfo and see what is defined for your core speeds.
I just did as you said an it shows 10 cores running at 4813mhz

Jan 26, 2021

In addition I used xtu to run a vf curve and it showed upwards of 1.4v at 5 ghz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cooler master masterbox nr600 Mid tower case. I have 2 stock fans along with 2 200rpm cooler master fans. 3 intake 1 output
Good chassis. Not enough exhaust though.
Top-down air coolers like the Dark Rock TF need more exhausts, unlike tower air coolers.

I restored the default settings but the cpu is still attempting to run at 4812 Mhz.
That's odd. You should be seeing like 5.2ghz on 1-2 cores under light loads and 4.8ghz across most cores under heavy loads.
Did you update your mobo's drivers? [chipset, audio, lan, etc.]

In addition I used xtu to run a vf curve and it showed upwards of 1.4v at 5 ghz
Doing too much at once...
Don't use XTU - at least until you get this sorted out.

Jan 26, 2021
Good chassis. Not enough exhaust though.
Top-down air coolers like the Dark Rock TF need more exhausts, unlike tower air coolers.

That's odd. You should be seeing like 5.2ghz on 1-2 cores under light loads and 4.8ghz across most cores under heavy loads.
Did you update your mobo's drivers? [chipset, audio, lan, etc.]

Doing too much at once...
Don't use XTU - at least until you get this sorted out.
What can I do to increase the exhaust?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont know how i could mount them up top even if I could fit them, there is no place to mount any fans on the top area.
We are talking about the NR600, right?
iu

A radiator and fans fit up there, so just fans should also fit up there.

Jan 26, 2021
1)Cpu isn't boosting properly.

2)Not using the best fan setup with the top-down air cooler.
Im trying to remedy that situation, I'm getting new thermal paste and when that arrives I will be switching out my Be Quiet for an older liquid cooling from my last pc to hopefully resolve these issues.