Build Advice Any advice on this build?

Andrew Razvodoff

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Hi!
Here's a build that I picked for myself. Any advice/critique? PC will be mostly used for gaming. Is there anything here I could substitute to save a bit of money? I'm running a bit over my budget here.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fw9hQ6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.00 @ Canada Computers)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED 66.3 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.40 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.66 @ iSanek)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX6700XT CLD 12G Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($529.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Case: Azza Spectra ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg Canada)

Power Supply: EVGA 600 BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($88.50 @ Vuugo)

Total: $1246.51

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
How much over budget are we talking about here?

I feel like (technically) you could skip on the Hyper 212 for now and just use the stock cooler. With that said, $35 isn't huge one way or the other.

I didn't check compatibility and size, but it seems on the surface to be a well thought out budget build.

Reactions: Andrew Razvodoff

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That Azza case only has one preinstalled fan... if we're trying to cuts costs here, you need to get a case that has at least 2, that way a 240/280mm AIO/CLC could provide 2 more fans - or, if a case comes with like, 4 fans, then you could skip the AIO.
Manufacturers can add fans to their cases for real cheap, unlike potential buyers.

Gen 4 nvme? Tight budget? Gotta go.

PCPartPicker Part List
Removed the cpu cooler. Try and see how the stock Wraith cooler fares. It's not gonna be great, but it's not going to be catastrophic either.
Swapped to a cheaper 3200 CL16 kit.
Swapped to a cheaper 1TB SSD.
Swapped to a 'cheaper' gpu, which also doesn't have the front and rear exhaust heatsink. I find they're a little troublesome in traditional front intake cases.
Swapped to a cheaper case, one that comes with 4 fans. It might not be to your tastes, but there are not many low cost options with a fair number of preinstalled fans.

I'm not sure how good a pairing that gpu is with that psu though. If the psu gurus say it needs to change, well that's definitely going to offset any savings.

Intel cpu + mobo alternative, but it's not looking any better: PCPartPicker Part List

Andrew Razvodoff

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Skip that PSU. EVGA power supplies are either really high end, or really low end and there really isn't any in between. The one you selected is on the lower end. Not sure about that case either, Azza cases are notoriously cheap in quality.
Interesting. Did not know that about EVGA. Anything else I need to avoid? Are my calculations correct that 600W is enough here?

That Azza case only has one preinstalled fan... if we're trying to cuts costs here, you need to get a case that has at least 2, that way a 240/280mm AIO/CLC could provide 2 more fans - or, if a case comes with like, 4 fans, then you could skip the AIO.
Manufacturers can add fans to their cases for real cheap, unlike potential buyers.

Gen 4 nvme? Tight budget? Gotta go.

PCPartPicker Part List
Removed the cpu cooler. Try and see how the stock Wraith cooler fares. It's not gonna be great, but it's not going to be catastrophic either.
Swapped to a cheaper 3200 CL16 kit.
Swapped to a cheaper 1TB SSD.
Swapped to a 'cheaper' gpu, which also doesn't have the front and rear exhaust heatsink. I find they're a little troublesome in traditional front intake cases.
Swapped to a cheaper case, one that comes with 4 fans. It might not be to your tastes, but there are not many low cost options with a fair number of preinstalled fans.

I'm not sure how good a pairing that gpu is with that psu though. If the psu gurus say it needs to change, well that's definitely going to offset any savings.

Intel cpu + mobo alternative, but it's not looking any better: PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for the detailed answer and a great advice on cooling/cases.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
Interesting. Did not know that about EVGA. Anything else I need to avoid? Are my calculations correct that 600W is enough here?

Depends on the GPU and what your long term upgrade plans are. If you plan to go beyond 1080P then I would definitely plan to add more wattage and a better quality PSU, like a Corsair RM750X.

And also avoid Azza cases. they're utter garbage. Get something from Corsair, Phanteks, Lian Li, Fractal Design, NZXT, any of those would be infinitely better.