Any advice on winning a bid on ebay?

brannsiu

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
In fact I am not a frequent buyer on ebay and I only purchased once or twice in the past decades but recently I found an item that I am interested in and it requires auction. 2 days left, nobody is watching, but 1 bid is done. I looked at the profile of the bidder, on 30-Day Bid History he has bid a of items, probably an experienced buyer.
Any advice, tips or strategy on winning a bid on ebay? This is an item I badly want. Should I only place my first bid and set the max. auto price before 10 or 5 minutes before the auction ends?? Any more tricky way? I bad want this item.

The best advice that always worked for me is find out the max amount of money you are willing to bid on the particular item and wait until the very last second to bid. That's the only way I won at bidding on eBay. Also keep in mind because you are the highest bidder doesn't mean that your bid is amount you are going to pay the seller. I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to pay the bidder's price below me for the item.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The best advice that always worked for me is find out the max amount of money you are willing to bid on the particular item and wait until the very last second to bid. That's the only way I won at bidding on eBay. Also keep in mind because you are the highest bidder doesn't mean that your bid is amount you are going to pay the seller. I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to pay the bidder's price below me for the item.
Thus is good advice. I've been buying and selling on eBay for 20 years. You need to decide whether or not you want a good deal, or want the item so bad you don't care what the cost is. Then, either place a bid now at your MAX price you'd be willing to pay, or even better wait until the last minute to do it so you can avoid people testing your max.

brannsiu

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Did you mean I should only attempt to place my first bid at the very last second??
to avoid competitors??

kanewolf

Titan
Did you mean I should only attempt to place my first bid at the very last second??
to avoid competitors??
That is one bidding philosohpy. Referred to as "sniping" . There is software and there are websites that will automate that type of bidding. The other option is determine your max price, no-matter-what, and bid that early. Known as "fire and forget". Both methods can win. If $54 is the absolute max you will pay for something then bid that and let people outbid you. Unless the item is exceptionally rare, then another one will come up for bid in a few days. Sniping your $54 bid limits the time people can react to your bid. But many people operate with automated bidding software so you can still be outbid OR you can be outbid by a "fire and forget" of $100 that somebody put in on day 1.
If you want something that is rare, then you better be prepared to bid high and late.

Yeah, I wouldn't say to necessarily wait for the last "second", since you might miss out if there is some delay, but within the last minute might be a good idea. It's possible you will still get outbid if the initial bidder set a higher maximum, or by someone else doing the same thing you are doing, but it improves your chances at least. Just make certain you are logged in and everything first. : P

Reactions: SgtScream

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS