Question any advice overclocking 3800x?

beneckejames

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
just got 3800x on crosshair x570 best oc i can get so far is by simply changing the multiplier to 45 that gets me 4.5ghz also i did adjust fan curve and im using nh-u14s for cooling. i tried pbo and ez tuning wizard but pbo only gets 4.3ghz and tuning wizard is unstable. any help?

just got 3800x on crosshair x570 best oc i can get so far is by simply changing the multiplier to 45 that gets me 4.5ghz also i did adjust fan curve and im using nh-u14s for cooling. i tried pbo and ez tuning wizard but pbo only gets 4.3ghz and tuning wizard is unstable. any help?
Do you have latest BIOS with AGESA 1003 abba ? PBO should work much better. I'm getting up to 4.45GHz on one to 2 cores and 4.375 on others out of my 3700x now so you should be getting at least 100MHz above that.
If you left CPU voltage on auto, watch out, it may be pushing more than 1.5v at full load. Speaking of load, what are you using to check PBO values ? Some benchmarks may not be able to put enough load on cores to cause full PBO frequency, CB r20 is one of them.

beneckejames

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
i have bios 1001 thanks to ez update. bus speed 100 x 45 multiplier 1.4v it just stays there 4.5 on all cores. can it be this simple? is this ok? when i run user benchmark it says im getting 10% higher than the average with this chip. i have not adjusted line load or anything just fan curve and its still silent i upgraded from fx8350 @4.5 and that was hot this is like a air conditioner it blows out cool air.

i have bios 1001 thanks to ez update. bus speed 100 x 45 multiplier 1.4v it just stays there 4.5 on all cores. can it be this simple? is this ok? when i run user benchmark it says im getting 10% higher than the average with this chip. i have not adjusted line load or anything just fan curve and its still silent i upgraded from fx8350 @4.5 and that was hot this is like a air conditioner it blows out cool air.
You are quite safe like that but do you really need all that power all the time ? Using PBO would let it drop to about 2GHz when on idle and give you quite comparable scores when power is needed.

i get 4.3 with pbo and that 4.5 with x45 multiplier is unstable the best i can get truly stable is 4.4 any other help guys?

A REV number of '1001' suggests an early-release BIOS, and so also an early AGESA release. Go look for a BIOS on the ASUS website and look for AGESA 1003ABBA just to be sure.

All-core overclocks at or near the max-boost clock on Ryzen 3000 are very difficult to get stable without extreme cooling. And if you can't get to rated clock then you're effectively killing the performance benefit of boost clocks.

So what is your use-case? If you are optimizing a gaming system, for instance, then you really do not want to all-core overclock because 3800's will eagerly boost to rated clocks on single cores as needed in games. With PBO enabled and a mild positive offset for voltage you might even get boosts above rated boost clock since 3800's often get the very best-binned CCD's.

If you're going to do extremely heavy all-core tasks, something like encoding or rendering, then you might benefit from a manual overclock even if not close to max boost. But you will need very good cooling..a Noctua NH-D14 or a 240mm AIO at least.

It's often beneficial to have a BIOS profile saved for each scenario if you do both.

PBO is enabled by first leaving the CPU multiplier in AUTO, and VCore in AUTO. Usually something like an ADVANCED CPU settings section there's PBO settings: put it in MANUAL and then push the three parameters to max: TDC, EDC and PPT. Then I also set PBO SCALAR to manual and set a scalar to 6x-8x, but you can also go up to 10x.

EDIT add: FYI, some stats from Silicon Lottery ( https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics ) on 3800X overclocking:

.........................non-AVX...................... AVX
3800XNot Tested4.20GHz1.275V100%
3800XNot Tested4.25GHz1.287VTop 53%
3800XNot Tested4.30GHz1.300VTop 20%

Last edited:

mcp5500

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
If you are getting 4.5 on your 3800X and its stable, you won the silicon lottery on this CPU. What is your temp and watt-edge results under full load? I run mine at 4.325 when using any SMP workloads and PBO when gaming.

TRENDING THREADS