Any aircoolers for i7 8700? Can anyone explain how does the dynamic frequency scaling (threattle) works?

sirdariush

Reputable
Jan 10, 2019
I'd like to buy a i7 8700 if I can find a good budget aircooler. I have a mATX and I don't want to change it because of the limited space where my pc is. And can anyone explain me how does the dynamic frequency scaling (threattle) works? Do I need to make something in BIOS or is it auutomatically? And one more question: Do I need a Z series motherboard for this dynamic frequency scaling? TY

Solution
Plenty budget coolers exist that'll adequately cool a locked CPU like an 8700.

As for the frequency, dynamic frequency scaling is the over-arching principal. Intel's implementation is "SpeedStep".
You do not need to adjust anything in the BIOS, SpeedStep should be enabled by default on any modern motherboard.

No, you do not need a "Z" board - any compatible board will support the 8700 up to it's max turbo of 4.6GHz.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Plenty budget coolers exist that'll adequately cool a locked CPU like an 8700.

As for the frequency, dynamic frequency scaling is the over-arching principal. Intel's implementation is "SpeedStep".
You do not need to adjust anything in the BIOS, SpeedStep should be enabled by default on any modern motherboard.

No, you do not need a "Z" board - any compatible board will support the 8700 up to it's max turbo of 4.6GHz.

Solution