[SOLVED] Any benefit from an SLI GeForce 1030 setup?

DreamBliss

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
So with the RIDICULOUS prices of video cards right now, would I derive any benefit of just buying a matched set of GeForce 1030 video cards and running in SLI? Here's my motherboard and current card:

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 7870
Vendor
Pineview Industries Ltd.
# of cards
SLI / CrossFire
Off
Memory
2,048 MB
Clock frequency
1,000 MHz (1,000 MHz)
Average clock frequency
N/A
Memory clock frequency
1,200 MHz (1,200 MHz)
Average memory clock frequency
N/A
Average temperature
N/A
Driver version
Driver status
Approved

Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING (MS-7751)
Memory
16,384 MB
Module 1
8,192 MB Mushkin DDR3 @ 1,598 MHz
Module 2
8,192 MB Mushkin DDR3 @ 1,598 MHz

Solution
Might be a tiny number of DX12 titles that you could do multi-GPU support. But they were mostly benchmark titles like Ashes of the Singularity. Since it is left to the developers to implement, most choose not to cater to the .1% of people that bother with SLI/Crossfire.

I switched from dual GTX980 to a single GTX1080 for exactly this reason. Unreal was the first to say they wouldn't put much effort into SLI. Though I believe some Unreal titles do support it now. At the time they were focusing on a frame compression technique that wouldn't work with SLI, even via DX12 explicit multi-GPU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're talking gaming, no benefit. Even if you're motivated to do the hack required since it's not officially supported, multi-GPU solutions in 2021 are deader than the Holy Roman Empire. The death spiral started a long time ago. With game developers not wanting to bother to try and make multi-GPU solutions work and both software and hardware support being removed from most new GPUs , there's no real point except for bling. I doubt you'd get two GT 1030s to trick out the visuals of your rig.

InvalidError

Titan
SLI had unpredictable performance scaling back when it was fully supported, only really worked in games developed specifically for it, which isn't that many. In most games, SLI provides little to no benefit and in some cases, it either outright crashes or causes worse performance than single GPU.

Because of all of the issues with SLI, Nvidia culled support for it over the years (only the GTX1070 and up supported it in the 10-series, so SLI 1030 is a non-starter) and it is now discontinued so already spotty and flaky SLI support in games and drivers will only be getting worse in the future.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might be a tiny number of DX12 titles that you could do multi-GPU support. But they were mostly benchmark titles like Ashes of the Singularity. Since it is left to the developers to implement, most choose not to cater to the .1% of people that bother with SLI/Crossfire.

I switched from dual GTX980 to a single GTX1080 for exactly this reason. Unreal was the first to say they wouldn't put much effort into SLI. Though I believe some Unreal titles do support it now. At the time they were focusing on a frame compression technique that wouldn't work with SLI, even via DX12 explicit multi-GPU.

Solution