[SOLVED] Any benefits to running my old gpu AND my new gpu together?

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Hiya, I've realised that my old GPU, a GTX 970 is sitting around in a box not really doing much (Other than acting as my "backup" GPU should my RTX 2070 fail (My main GPU) - But, I realised, is it going to increase my power if I was to run both of these on the rig in terms of FPS in video games?

I'm not really too familiar with running 2x GPU's inside rigs, from the one time I did (At a game dev studio I was working at) - They were running two 1080Ti's, somethings tells me that it might be important that they're the same card owing to the difference in drivers I suspect?

Should I look to getting my GTX 970 installed into my system alongside my 2070 or is this a waste of time and not worth the effort?

Not only is SLI (Multiple GPUs) pretty much dead, with so many programs not supporting it at all, they do need to be the same GPU. You could plug in the second GPU, and not use SLI. This would only have any benefit if you have multiple monitors. You could, in theory, plug the extra monitors into the 970, and leave all the 2070 power for the main monitor, and therefore the game, but this isnt really practical. Extra monitors, not running anything intensive, really dont do much at all for hurting performance.

TLDR, No, you cant.

TRENDING THREADS