[SOLVED] Any body with macbook pro hardware troubleshooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlgriffith3

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
So this is the jist of the story, I have a friend who left their macbook pro on the floor of their car and it got wet. I am trying to figure out if their video card got ruined or if it was the monitor. I have yet to use a dvi to vga adapter to test if it was the video card on a new screen, but regardless is there an easy way to fix either of these problems? or does the laptop just has to be sent back to apple

Not sure if this will help, but the backlight or apple light does not turn on, however the keyboard lighting will.

Solution
Take it to an Apple store (or reseller) and get a quote; water damage can be nasty, depending on how wet it might just need cleaning or it might need a complete new logic board and display panel.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Take it to an Apple store (or reseller) and get a quote; water damage can be nasty, depending on how wet it might just need cleaning or it might need a complete new logic board and display panel.

Solution

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
He is right take it to an Apple provider to see if it can be fixed.Good advise. tell your friend to be more careful next time.

tlgriffith3

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

Ya the machine turns on and everything, just no display

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I would really try and get that DVI to VGA and test an external monitor. I got charged $1500 AUD for a complete replacement of the top clam shell.

Repairs are expensive.

I've heard a logic board to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $800-$1000 depending on the model.

So best of luck with the external monitor and the quote, hopefully it's not the price of a brand new Laptop :p

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
A logic board costs around $500.00 tops not that price you posted here.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

http://www.ifixit.com/search?text=Logic+board&x=0&y=0#50-Logic+Boards

These are G4 logic boards. Priced at $500. That's from iFixit, so no labour costs or even installation for that matter included there.

I've read some stories of the logic boards costing over $2000 to replace from Apple.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2675881?start=45&tstart=0

Since the OP has not posted year or any specs of the Laptop, it's a little harder to make an estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS