Question Any chance for damage using single pci-e cable for both connections on graphics card.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I'm currently in the process of testing a few used graphics cards, a GTX 1060 3gb, and a GTX 1660 super. The 2 PSU's that I am using are also to be tested which are a Seasonic Prime Ultra titanium 650w, and a Seasonic SSR 750 G Series. The SSR 750 only has the permanently connected 2x8 pci-e connection coming directly from the PSU, and I received no other cables with it. The Prime Ultra titanium is fully modular, and I only have one single cable with the 2x8 connection.

I know using one cable for both connections on the graphics card is not recommended, but would it be overall stable for just simple functionality testing?

Please advise.
Thank you

Last edited:
I had the same Prime Ultra Titanium 650w and used it with a 3080 with 2x8 pin connectors. Normally I ran both cables but there was a few months where I tested a soundcard that required its own pcie power connection. I therefore ran the gpu on one cable and the soundcard on the other. It worked fine. I know it’s not recommended.

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay thanks everyone. I am going to start by testing an old GTX 460, and 560. They are both (2) 6 pin if I remember correctly. I have another pci-e 6+2 pin cable that according to Seasonic's compatibility chart shows it will work with the Prime Ultra. The pci-e cable that came with the Prime Ultra is RG34, and the other pci-e cable I have on hand is a CG04. Thanks everyone.

Last edited: