any chance of a price drop

sailer

Splendid
Probably, but there might well cease to be any developement concerning DX9 cards and that could eventually drive the prices back up, similar to what happened when the AMD 939 cpu's started getting scarce.

Ryan220

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I have a 7800 GS+ and the price on that has actually risen to £270.

An increase of over £20 since I bought it a month ago???

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
you would think that at least ati would want to make their stuff a little more competitive price wise because of the huge performance increase the 8800s provide.

Ryan220

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
The problem is the 1950 XTX's are still an excellent card in many many ways.

So its not an 8800GTX beater - but it is nearly £200 cheaper.

Like a previous poster said, wait until after Christmas - at least Feb perhaps? - until everyone has spent their Christmas money and the graphics cards manufacturers have wrung out every last bit of profit out of the current cards. Then we'll see a price drop.

Thing is I want an 8800GTX now and its taking every ounce of self control to not go and buy one.

G

Me too, or at least equals it.

As for nVidia card, the two new card only took the high-end spot from the 7950GX2/Gt card, all the other card stayed at the same price and the same spot. So I don't expect any price drop on these cards.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I wouldn't expect much in the realm of price decreases with christmas coming up (as someone as already pointed out). The 8 series will likely come down towards MSRP if anything. The most I would expect in the realm of price drop is $15. The real price drops will come when the R600 comes to pass and challenges the 8 series. Whether it does or not is not the topic here, but until such time there is no reason for the 8 series to drop, much less the 7 series because the 7 series is more about price points and the 8 series is about performance (at this point). If you plot the $/Perf the 8800GTS and 8800GTX are reletively price fairly given their performance (using the X1950XTX as the base).