Any cheaper alternative to Intel i7 7700k that has somehow similar performance?

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I thought of having an i7 7700k but since it's getting out of budget and I want to save some money, is there any cheaper alternative?

Also with the unlocked processor, I'll have to spend an additional 50 bucks on a decent cooler. Please suggest me anything.

I already have a motherboard that supports 6th and 7th generation...

Solution
Unlocked Intel "K" CPUs do not include stock cooler. The first generation Ryzen include stock cooler except the "X" from the Ryzen 5 1600X onwards. All second-generation Ryzen include stock cooler. The Ryzen 6 2600X has the cooler "AMD Wraith Spire" quite acceptable.

Between the ryzen 5 2600X and the used I7-7700K, (in the absence of more information) I would choose the Ryzen.
The two are approximately equal. For some things the Intel is better, for others the Ryzen is but, in any case, there is not much difference between the two. But I would choose the new option with warranty.

What graphics card will you use?
Are you going to do streaming?
Are you going to do video editing?
It is a very bad time to buy any Intel cpu. For a few weeks there has been a severe shortage and prices have risen immeasurably.

Any similar CPU means changing mobo too. You can look at the prices of the I5-8600K (intel) or Ryzen 5 2600 (or 2600x) bearing in mind that you must acquire a new mobo.

In the case of AMD, it is cheaper for you. In the case of Intel, it would wait a few months before buying it.

If you already have a board that supports 7th gen, and the RAM along with it, there is no reason to upgrade to 8th gen, or make the switch to Ryzen.

Depending on the system needs, an i5 could be suitable, or similar: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/3pWrxr,9mRFf7,VKx9TW/
You dont need to spend 50 dollars on cooling either, an unlocked processor does not produce all that much extra heat.

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

By mobo, I mean I have it with my cousin. Haven't really bought it yet from him. Since I'm getting it cheap from him, I thought I should give 7700k a shot.

That too I'm getting in used. I've had a look at Ryzen 2600x as well. New 2600x is comparatively cheaper as compared to a "used" 7700k. I don't know which one will be better. I thought of not buying Ryzen 2600x because the motherboard will be pricey.

In short, I'm getting the 7700k with mobo at $365 (both used) while brand new Ryzen 2600x at 310. Which one is preferable in that case?

captain wajji

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

I do not have yet but I'm getting it cheap comparatively because my cousin bought it and used it for 2 months and now he's selling it cheap to me.

I've heard and read that unlocked processors don't include stock cooler in it?

If I've to buy everything all again, what would you recommend?

Unlocked Intel "K" CPUs do not include stock cooler. The first generation Ryzen include stock cooler except the "X" from the Ryzen 5 1600X onwards. All second-generation Ryzen include stock cooler. The Ryzen 6 2600X has the cooler "AMD Wraith Spire" quite acceptable.

Between the ryzen 5 2600X and the used I7-7700K, (in the absence of more information) I would choose the Ryzen.
The two are approximately equal. For some things the Intel is better, for others the Ryzen is but, in any case, there is not much difference between the two. But I would choose the new option with warranty.

What graphics card will you use?
Are you going to do streaming?
Are you going to do video editing?

Solution