Any computer repair people here? Help me on pricing Please!!!!

Arunashamal

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
Hi Guys.
I recently started repairing computers. I visit clients houses and fix their problems. but I feel like I am leaving money on the table because many people are happy to pay lot for small jobs.
Anyone doing any computer repair work? What are your price structures like?
I live in Australia. I don't do any major stuff, mostly virus cleaning, OS installation, Replacing HDDs, RAMs etc..SSD upgrades and things like that.
What do you guys charge for jobs like that?

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
(Not sure how much this differs in Australia vs US but this is what I did)

File for a Sole Proprietorship business, all you need to do is fill out a form, choose a name and mail it in, and the fee was only like $70. Now you are "____ Computer Repair" or whatever you name it, and you can write legit business receipts for jobs and people will trust you more although you'll have to file the tax work for the business. (If it's a family member or something just take the payments "under the table"... no sense paying taxes on something like that if you know/trust the person) Depending on what problem they described I'd generally do like $50 for a visit, and $30 for every hour after the first hour. I've also made basic websites for people (i.e. ones that don't really require any further maintenance after it's up) both times I just gave them a flat amount or a "quote" based on how long I thought it would take to create.

Back when I used to do IT as a side job I'd charge $50 an hour with a minimum half hour commit. There was a $25 travel fee too if it wasn't close by.

Now I just refuse to do IT, hate that stuff.