Question Any Crucial MX500 Users Here Updated To Latest Firmware (M3CR045) ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
i opened Crucial Storage Executive today and got a nasty surprise..........new firmware for my 250GB MX500 boot drive..............current firmware is (M3CR043) and the new firmware is (M3CR045)..............funny thing is my other 500GB MX500 firmware is (M3CR023)...........and there's no new firmware for it...........:homer:

just wondering if any MX500 users here have updated to the new firmware..................i'm afraid things might go haywire if i update to new firmware - so any problems if i just stay on the current firmware and don't update ?🤢

Lutfij

Titan
I'd suggest backing up any and/or all data from both SSD's onto a removable storage drive, then proceed with the firmware update. Most often a firmware update tends to wipe them clean...most times they don't even do anything to the data on it. I own a 2.5" Crucial MX500 250GB SSD but it's on M3CR023(updated it and just left the system as a backup machine haven't used it since the update).

Even if you don't update the firmware, it's still good practice to backup your data off the SSD's...if they're mission critical.

USAFRet

Titan
i opened Crucial Storage Executive today and got a nasty surprise..........new firmware for my 250GB MX500 boot drive..............current firmware is (M3CR043) and the new firmware is (M3CR045)..............funny thing is my other 500GB MX500 firmware is (M3CR023)...........and there's no new firmware for it...........:homer:

just wondering if any MX500 users here have updated to the new firmware..................i'm afraid things might go haywire if i update to new firmware - so any problems if i just stay on the current firmware and don't update ?🤢
And on my 1TB:
"Current firmware version M3CR033 is already installed and up to date"

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
I'd suggest backing up any and/or all data from both SSD's onto a removable storage drive, then proceed with the firmware update. Most often a firmware update tends to wipe them clean...most times they don't even do anything to the data on it. I own a 2.5" Crucial MX500 250GB SSD but it's on M3CR023(updated it and just left the system as a backup machine haven't used it since the update).

Even if you don't update the firmware, it's still good practice to backup your data off the SSD's...if they're mission critical.

i have another 250GB MX500 which is a clone of the boot drive..............the info on the 500GB MX500 is also on an external HDD...............

as long as the new firmware IS NOT updated automatically............i'll just ignore it to be safe............

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Probably a good idea.

Storage Executive is not the sharpest tool in my experience. Had major issues with it 7 years ago and therefore have not bothered to update firmware on my Crucial drive....with no issues whatsoever in those 7 years.

yes, why risk it when things are working fine ?

every time there's a Win11 update............i'm always afraid something will go wrong like the power going out when installing (i'm using a desktop)...............:eek:

once, i updated the bios of the motherboard and i was nervous like hell............afraid things will go wrong later or the power going out............ 😭

Different firmware streams apply to different flash controllers:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ant-do-anything-in-storage-executive.3757723/

The 023 firmware contains a reference to Silicon Motion's SM2258AA controller whereas the 033 firmware refers to SM2259AA. They also differ in the NAND flash chips (512Gbit versus 2Tbit).

I suspect that the 043/045 firmware may be for yet another controller. You can examine the payload file with a hex editor (eg HxD freeware).

Edit:

I just checked my 1TB MX500 SATA SSD, f/w M3CR043.

The controller is a Silicon Motion SM2259H-AC.

There are 4 x 2Tbit Micron "NY133" NAND flash chips (MT29F2T08EMLEEJ4-QA:E).

https://www.micron.com/support/tools-and-utilities/fbga?fbga=NY133#pnlFBGA

Last edited:

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
Different firmware streams apply to different flash controllers:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ant-do-anything-in-storage-executive.3757723/

The 023 firmware contains a reference to Silicon Motion's SM2258AA controller whereas the 033 firmware refers to SM2259AA. They also differ in the NAND flash chips (512Gbit versus 2Tbit).

I suspect that the 043/045 firmware may be for yet another controller. You can examine the payload file with a hex editor (eg HxD freeware).

Edit:

I just checked my 1TB MX500 SATA SSD, f/w M3CR043.

The controller is a Silicon Motion SM2259H-AC.

There are 4 x 2Tbit Micron "NY133" NAND flash chips (MT29F2T08EMLEEJ4-QA:E).

https://www.micron.com/support/tools-and-utilities/fbga?fbga=NY133#pnlFBGA

ok, many thanks for the info.............they advertised that all the different capacities are of the same speed so i reckon all the parts were the same except less memory chips for smaller capacities............