Any downside to running PC2700 Ram at 266?

Ironstone

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2002
Hi,

Every time I upgrade these days I seem to end up buying a whole new CPU/Mb/RAM combination.

Currently I'm interested in a board that doesn't support 333mhz RAM, and I also have no particular reason to believe that I need it anyway.

But (partly because of the current local availability of certain RAM brands) I quite like the look of buying 2700RAM anyway and running it as if it was 2100.

This might sound pointless, but it may give me the option further down the track to uppgrade the board without having to get more RAM yet again.

I'm assuming that it would work OK (??) but are there any downsides - other than paying a bit more?

Ironstone

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2002
Quote:
"I'm assuming that it would work OK (??) "

Whoops - stupid man. Read the FAQ FIRST! It says:

"Yes, RAM is backwards compatible. The memory will automatically run at PC100 speeds. This is also true of DDR, for instance PC2700 will automatically run as PC2100 when placed in a motherboard that only supports PC2100."

So - any downsides? Probably not if it's completely backwards compatible. I know that rechargeable batteries can "lose" their full capacity if you keep doing small "top-up" charges, but I don't think that applies to RAM. :)

I can't see it saying "Look I've been idling away at 266mhz for 6 months now, so I'm damn well not going to bust a gut running at 333mhz just cos you bought a new board...."

Still, nothing surprises me about computer weirdness any more.... :)

utcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
It depends on what cpu and rest of the equipment your were looking at. Its all about building the best well rounded computer. Not the one with the fastest cpu and nothing else.