Question Any DVR solutions for Basic Cable?

elvisruns

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
DVR newbie question. We've got the most basic of basic cable services - its maybe 100 channels, no set top box, delivered directly to the TV via a coax cable. Are there some DVR recommendations for use with this - especially looking to not have to add monthly fees or a bunch of other components? Or should most work? We do have a Google Chromecast for streaming as well, but just looking for ways to record programs and/or sports periodically to watch when we're not home.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are still PCIe TV Tuner / capture cards but they have limited utility these days. With a cable box you would have to manually set the channel and have the tuner record at a specified time. Multiple programs would not be possible.

Honestly, the best way to do DVR these days is the capability provided through your cable provider, they can decrypt it easily and even do multi-channel recording all based on their own programming guides.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not even sure that a capture card or DVR (if you can still find one) will work alongside cable any more. All that anti-piracy stuff has pretty much gutted this ability.

Most network shows will be available for streaming from the various online presence of said network within a day or so. The sports events I am not so sure about.

I didnt know cable companies still provided tv without their own addressable set top box. If this is the case, that you directly connect the cable to your tv and use the tv's built in tuner, then you should be able to use any OTA (antenna/over the air) DVR that uses ATSC.
This one is well rated. See if you can purchase it at a local store and return if not compatible..

https://www.amazon.ca/Tablo-Dual-LI...ocphy=9000782&hvtargid=pla-595601142156&psc=1

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I am not even sure that a capture card or DVR (if you can still find one) will work alongside cable any more. All that anti-piracy stuff has pretty much gutted this ability.

Most network shows will be available for streaming from the various online presence of said network within a day or so. The sports events I am not so sure about.

It doesn't, but does.

So the cable box will decode the signal and a PC capture card will be able to see that one channel just fine. It just doesn't allow for the typical DVR capabilities like having it automatically record a different channel. You would have to 1) have the cable box actually on 2) set it to the channel you want to record using the remote. Really only useful for specific recordings.

A PC capture card can still be used to grab ClearQAM signals as mentioned, which there should be quite a few on the raw cable without the box. Public access and local stations are often not encrypted since they just take the over the air broadcast signal and re-transmit it via cable. But you won't be able to see the paid cable channels.

It just doesn't make sense anymore. Not to mention that all the cool tools aren't supported. Windows Media editions actually had decent integrations for capture cards, I think that worked up through Windows 7 with some hacking. Didn't try it after that myself, I ditched television service entirely about 8 years ago now. Though I still technically have streaming TV via my phone plan, I don't use it. Just let the other members on the plan use it.

I would almost say Youtube TV might be the cheap option these days? Free cloud based DVR.