[SOLVED] Any experience with tempered glass? Tacens Mars Gaming MC9 explosion

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Well that. This box is cute, it is small, well ventilated, it is an Aerocool Python after all. BUT ... last day, when I was playing ALIEN Isolation, the tempered glass side literally exploded, causing some ugly cut on my leg that did not require medical assistance. Fortunately the "explosion" happened outside the chassis, in fact not a single piece of glass fell , of the thousands that were generated, inside the case. Only the pieces that serve as a coupling to the side remained with glued pieces that cut like the mother who gave birth to them.

I guess it was bad luck, since it is totally new and I treat my material as if it were nitroglycerin about to explode. Looking at the safety pages it appears that a temperature difference, even if it is not abrupt, and due to impurities present during the melting of the glass, or a micro-break during transport, can cause that, as in my case apparently, when the glass is hot (ambient temperature 30ºC plus 51ºC reached by the CPU, etc.) if the manufacturing process is faulty, it makes the tempered glass literally explode.

Have you ever had such experience?

Be careful colleagues with those who have towers with tempered glass, especially those who have TACENS MC9, it is not strange that a whole lot or the series brings the defective side.

PS: I wrote to the company 5 days ago and no response so far. Bad for them.

Solution
Never had any probs with my thermaltake view71 but there are spacers behind all the glass panels so it has huge amount of airflow. There are 2 possibilities as to why the glass detonated, 1 is thermal shock (the glass was hot and was cooled too quickly), 2 is that the panel fittings were fitted too tightly putting the glass under stress and when the glass warmed up and tried to expand it had no room too and the stress resulted in failure.

racksmith101

Respectable
Never had any probs with my thermaltake view71 but there are spacers behind all the glass panels so it has huge amount of airflow. There are 2 possibilities as to why the glass detonated, 1 is thermal shock (the glass was hot and was cooled too quickly), 2 is that the panel fittings were fitted too tightly putting the glass under stress and when the glass warmed up and tried to expand it had no room too and the stress resulted in failure.

Reactions: arajigar
Solution

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Seem You´re right. Racksmith has nailed it. The ones that supply this cases to Tacens used very poor Quality Control and let some bad units pass them and ended in the stores. I hope this warnig serves for others. For now: avoid this case.

Last edited:

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
EDIT: Today I received a reply from TACENS (I swear). They cannot explain what could have happened, and they have asked me for temperatures. I have sent them, of course. They have told me that they will send me a new side, the truth is that I´m quite aconcerned about it call me paranoid, but I do not trust much of the tempered glass side, especially if they have missed a batch with a tare, besides that already I have made the methacrylate one that is identical and I know that it will not explode again and cut me or, worse, put the crystals inside and with the fans organize a "confetti party". I will send them the delivery note (invoice) of purchase and when they receive it I´ll decide, although what would you do?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
EDIT: Today I received a reply from TACENS (I swear). They cannot explain what could have happened, and they have asked me for temperatures. I have sent them, of course. They have told me that they will send me a new side, the truth is that I´m quite aconcerned about it call me paranoid, but I do not trust much of the tempered glass side, especially if they have missed a batch with a tare, besides that already I have made the methacrylate one that is identical and I know that it will not explode again and cut me or, worse, put the crystals inside and with the fans organize a "confetti party". I will send them the delivery note (invoice) of purchase and when they receive it I´ll decide, although what would you do?

The chance they pay off an invoice of a side panel you had custom-made is approximately zero.

Realistically, Tacens is not a company known for the quality of its products. It sells a lot of shoddy junk PSUs in Spain and Portugal.

Reactions: arajigar

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Oh, the invoice is of the case!, Sometimes and because my bad english I do serious mistakes like that... sorry DSzymborsky. ;)

The customer service in the other hand have done a very good job. I told them that I don´t trust their side panel´s build quality (I know I´ve been harsh) and that I will keep my plastic panel, I feel more safe. Call me silly, but I declined the offer of a new glass panel, and told them that I´ll keep the plastic one I´ve made. They apologised and they offered to send me a new glass panel at any time if I change my mind.

Probably they comitted and probably still committing the error to sell bad PSUs and other parts, error that I am sure thye´ll work to fix, but in what Customer Service is about, I can only say that it is very good.