[SOLVED] Any free software out their to protect from mentioned malware's?

May 14, 2019
Does anyone know any free software that can protect my computer from malware. Software that can protect me from Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Ransomware, Adware, Spyware, File-less malware and others I’m not aware of. Also software that can scan sketchy emails. I use Avast and AVG but each have their own database of Viruses what other virus software are their that are free and effective.

Also please mention some tips you know of in securing my computer more from getting malware. :D

Solution
Download and install UBlock Origin on all browsers - it works on Chrome, Opera, Firefox & Edge - that will stop you getting to a lot of the sites that are sources of those types of files

Bitdefender Free has a higher detection rate than both of those but using multiple AV on 1 PC at same time is just asking for troubles, they see each other as threats

Most big AV programs already cover you for most of those things, just need to find the ones you like.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download and install UBlock Origin on all browsers - it works on Chrome, Opera, Firefox & Edge - that will stop you getting to a lot of the sites that are sources of those types of files

Bitdefender Free has a higher detection rate than both of those but using multiple AV on 1 PC at same time is just asking for troubles, they see each other as threats

Most big AV programs already cover you for most of those things, just need to find the ones you like.

Reactions: THE_TECH_GEEK
Solution
Don't open sketchy e-mails...and certainly don't download anything received unsolicited via e-mail from people you don't know...or Office docs, etc...

Ever.

One can not really count on products to protect you from yourself ...; if overly prone to downloading crap, many are overly prone to bypass the AV/AM warning about it to see what it does....

Best to have a very good back up /imaging plan so you can restore to where you were the hour prior....

I used the one year free trial of SecureAge's Secure A+ Plus....; it will err on the side of blocking first, and ask you questions to allow/or quarantine... Used it, perfectly satisfied for a year, but, equally satisfied almost a year later with just Defender, as my browser also has Defender add-on, plus U-Block Origin....

But, then I don't visit malware-prone sites, either... (UBlock Origin works great, BTW!)

Last edited:
Reactions: MAOP77

THE_TECH_GEEK

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
You should probably just use one antivirus because as
Colif said most of the time they see each other as threats.
I recommed you using bitdefender or kaspersky
or the antiviruses you spoke of are good to especially avast just make sure you use one antivirus. As for malware the best software I reccomend is Zemana AntiMalware, its completely free. Even malwarebytes is a good software but as a free software Zemana AntiMalware is the better one, actually both malwarebytes and Zemana AntiMalware have helped me several times when my pc had got infected and they have helped me remove malware successfully. All of the above mentioned sofware are free and there are paid versions too (except Zemana AntiMalware) but its best you pay money and protect your pc cause rather than risking your pc its always best to just pay a little money and protect it.These software are not that expensive ,but if you cant afford it u can use the free software its just that the paid versions have more useful features than the free ones. The free version will protect your pc too. Anyway the above mentioned softwares have helped me in really tough times and i suggest you check them out and see whats best for you.
;) Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: MAOP77

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think I have used Norton, Avast (even the paid version is always begging you to buy more parts, which is why I don't use it now), Zonealarm (which only just started being AV in recent years on top of a firewall), and Bitdefender (unlike Avast, it just leaves me alone, and does its job of stopping infections before they happen). There are likely more I can't remember as its been a long time, pretty sure I forgot something.

Never actually had a live virus on PC, found a few in old folders that never got installed, but just cause I haven't had one, doesn't make me feel safe using defender - its fine for most people but I can never tell where questions here might lead me so I prefer too much to not enough.