Question Any game that is i5-3570K bound below 60 fps?

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
By some miracle I was able to purchase a RTX3090 at MSRP. I was browsing MB literally just the same second new MSI Ventus stock arrived and as soon as I completed my purchase it was out of stock again. I bought it for Daz3D but with the purchase I am wondering if I can stretch out my current i5-3570K@4.1Ghz a bit more. I don't need more than 60 fps in the kind of games I play and probably won't go 4K for at least another year. Witcher 3 is the last demanding game I played and it was fine. Not sure with newer games or how i5-3570K will do with futures games that are likely PS5/XBSeX ports.

There are many modern AAA games that won’t average 60fps. 4 core/thread CPU’s are the bare minimum for modern aaa gaming. You are pairing the top end gpu with a bare minimum cpu, this is a very unbalanced setup. You say you won’t go 4K but if only aiming for 60fps anything under 4K is wasting that gpu’s potential. I know you bought it because it was available but I get the impression you would have been much better off waiting for a 3070/3080 and using the money saved to upgrade the rest of the system.

You are pairing the top end gpu with a bare minimum cpu, this is a very unbalanced setup.
Worrying if the setup is balanced is actually really stupid--the gpu can move on to another system, so there's no reason not to put in all you can afford. Also, this 'balance' changes with every different application and load so unbalanced in one is balanced in another--it's an endless rabbit hole for no good reason...

Worrying if the setup is balanced is actually really stupid--the gpu can move on to another system, so there's no reason not to put in all you can afford. Also, this 'balance' changes with every different application and load so unbalanced in one is balanced in another--it's an endless rabbit hole for no good reason...
It’s stupid not to worry about if the end system will be well balanced. If you don’t you will waste money and possibly be disappointed with performance. Pairing what is really an entry level cpu with the best gaming gpu on the market is a terrible combination. The OP seems to want to delay upgrading the cpu, if not in a position to upgrade the cpu especially if playing at a resolution below 4K is wasting that gpu. The other consideration here is if the psu is as old as the rest of the system. If there is any budget constraint here then a 3070/3080 and cpu platform upgrade would most likely have been the better route.

Last edited:
It’s stupid not to worry about if the end system will be well balanced. If you don’t you will waste money and possibly be disappointed with performance. Pairing what is really an entry level cpu with the best gaming gpu on the market is a terrible combination. The OP seems to want to delay upgrading the cpu, if not in a position to upgrade the cpu especially if playing at a resolution below 4K is wasting that gpu. The other consideration here is if the psu is as old as the rest of the system. If there is any budget constraint here then a 3070/3080 and cpu platform upgrade would most likely have been the better route.
No, it is absolutely retarded to do this. If it is financially feasible, it doesn't make sense to cut corners. You can spend the same cash on other things to even things out, but the time that it takes to install crap and set it up can ruin any cost savings since time is money for a lot of us. I'll usually put in the biggest/baddest of whatever I'm upgrading and slowly work through the whole system like that. No reason to update the whole thing in complete phases just to be 'balanced', especially when the definition balanced is only dependent on the application anyways.

If it is financially feasible, it doesn't make sense to cut corners.
You talk about pairing a 3090 with a 3570k as if its a good idea and then say not to cut corners? That pairing is definition of cutting corners. You don't buy a Ferrari and run cheap remould tyres. We don't know when the OP will upgrade the cpu, if its not in the near future some games are going to run poorly on that cpu/RAM setup regardless of gpu choice. If they dont upgrade the cpu for another year they will have 1 year of some games running badly on that cpu. However by going for a 3080 the money saved could get a much better cpu/motherboard/RAM combination and provide 85-90% of the gpu performance and give an excellent gaming experience over the next year. The key is when will the cpu platform get upgraded.

Also resorting to name calling shows you know you have a weak point.

I am wont bother with you anymore as it is not fair to the OP.

By some miracle I was able to purchase a RTX3090 at MSRP. I was browsing MB literally just the same second new MSI Ventus stock arrived and as soon as I completed my purchase it was out of stock again. I bought it for Daz3D but with the purchase I am wondering if I can stretch out my current i5-3570K@4.1Ghz a bit more. I don't need more than 60 fps in the kind of games I play and probably won't go 4K for at least another year. Witcher 3 is the last demanding game I played and it was fine. Not sure with newer games or how i5-3570K will do with futures games that are likely PS5/XBSeX ports.

When you install the card you will find out exactly what your CPU can and can't do, if the games won't run the way you want then you need to upgrade. It's not like the video card will make your CPU run slower than it has before, and there is a more than even chance all of your games will be able to get more FPS with the new card.

You talk about pairing a 3090 with a 3570k as if its a good idea and then say not to cut corners? That pairing is definition of cutting corners. You don't buy a Ferrari and run cheap remould tyres. We don't know when the OP will upgrade the cpu, if its not in the near future some games are going to run poorly on that cpu/RAM setup regardless of gpu choice. If they dont upgrade the cpu for another year they will have 1 year of some games running badly on that cpu. However by going for a 3080 the money saved could get a much better cpu/motherboard/RAM combination and provide 85-90% of the gpu performance and give an excellent gaming experience over the next year. The key is when will the cpu platform get upgraded.

Also resorting to name calling shows you know you have a weak point.

I am wont bother with you anymore as it is not fair to the OP.
No it is not because you don't know if the card came for free and the OP only has 15 minutes a day to work on the system--it's all about the finances and the time. For most situations chasing a balanced system is just chasing a goal you can't consistently achieve. And for what? It's an utter waste of time.

Carryover upgrades to me are an area where you can go overboard and it not matter. Investing in 64gb for this platform? Probably not a good idea due to the carryover. Investing in 64gb of ddr4 for a modern platform--go for it as you can probably continue to use it with other upgrades. The gpu is the ultimate of these. People run a 1080Ti with an q9650 because they can. And when they upgrade, the same 1080Ti comes with them--no loss there.

I don't see where I called you a name. I don't attack people, just concepts. Attacking people doesn't accomplish anything unless those people are attacking you--then that's self-defense.

I know I said I wouldn't reply again but I had to.

No it is not because you don't know if the card came for free
Read the first sentence of the OP.

it's all about the finances and the time.
Exactly. If at max budget buying a 3090 and pairing it with a 3570k which you wont be able to upgrade in the near future is going to give you a worse gaming setup and performance than a 3070/3080 and a mid range modern cpu.

Investing in 64gb for this platform?
Exactly the same principle as investing in a 3090 for this platform. You pick a 'balance' for the overall system and the needs for X budget, for a gaming rig 16/32GB

People run a 1080Ti with an q9650 because they can. And when they upgrade, the same 1080Ti comes with them--no loss there.
What people, backup for this? Lets go along with this though. So you buy a 1080Ti in 2017 at >$700 but you pair it with a q9650 (9 year old cpu in 2017) for gaming which is inadequate for some games. The gpu is significantly under utilised and gives no useful benefit over maybe a 1060 6GB/1050Ti and then run this bad setup for 3 years, then at the end of 2020 you look to upgrade the cpu? The money put into that GPU horsepower you never used could have been put towards a better cpu platform and given a much better gaming experience in the last 3 years. That under utilised 1080Ti in late 2020 is missing features that newer cards have, no RT, no HDMI 2.1, and so on. You now desperately need a cpu upgrade but you blew the budget on a gpu you never got close to fully utilising and if you want to make use of new game and hardware features you may start wanting to upgrade the gpu again. While you definitely do not need to completely upgrade your whole system every time a new gpu comes you have to look at this as an extreme case of pairing the highest end gpu today (3090) that costs the same as a whole mid range system with a cpu that is 7 generations old and barely entry level by todays standards, I see no benefit and looks to be a waste of money in the long term if now unable to upgrade the cpu in the near future.

I don't see where I called you a name. I don't attack people, just concepts. Attacking people doesn't accomplish anything unless those people are attacking you--then that's self-defense.
It is offensive to say "No, it is absolutely retarded to do this. " in reply to a post and implies you are calling the poster retarded. It was slightly offensive to say "Worrying if the setup is balanced is actually really stupid " in reply was slightly less offensive but again implies you are calling the poster stupid. I deliberately used your own wording back to you the first time in hope you would get the point.

Apologies to the OP . I will try not to respond to these comments again and will try and help with any further questions you have.

Last edited:
Read the first sentence of the OP.

Exactly. If at max budget buying a 3090 and pairing it with a 3570k which you wont be able to upgrade in the near future is going to give you a worse gaming setup and performance than a 3070/3080 and a mid range modern cpu.

Exactly the same principle as investing in a 3090 for this platform. You pick a 'balance' for the overall system and the needs for X budget, for a gaming rig 16/32GB

What people, backup for this? Lets go along with this though. So you buy a 1080Ti in 2017 at >$700 but you pair it with a q9650 (9 year old cpu in 2017) for gaming which is inadequate for some games. The gpu is significantly under utilised and gives no useful benefit over maybe a 1060 6GB/1050Ti and then run this bad setup for 3 years, then at the end of 2020 you look to upgrade the cpu? The money put into that GPU horsepower you never used could have been put towards a better cpu platform and given a much better gaming experience in the last 3 years. That under utilised 1080Ti in late 2020 is missing features that newer cards have, no RT, no HDMI 2.1, and so on. You now desperately need a cpu upgrade but you blew the budget on a gpu you never got close to fully utilising and if you want to make use of new game and hardware features you may start wanting to upgrade the gpu again. While you definitely do not need to completely upgrade your whole system every time a new gpu comes you have to look at this as an extreme case of pairing the highest end gpu today (3090) that costs the same as a whole mid range system with a cpu that is 7 generations old and barely entry level by todays standards, I see no benefit and looks to be a waste of money in the long term if now unable to upgrade the cpu in the near future.

It is offensive to say "No, it is absolutely retarded to do this. " in reply to a post and implies you are calling the poster retarded. It was slightly offensive to say "Worrying if the setup is balanced is actually really stupid " in reply was slightly less offensive but again implies you are calling the poster stupid. I deliberately used your own wording back to you the first time in hope you would get the point.

Apologies to the OP . I will try not to respond to these comments again and will try and help with any further questions you have.
I welcome discourse, but don't get an attitude or rude with me.

Given the premium on the newest cards won't go away for a while, the OP saved right there. And if that's 6 months, and if OP is stretching the i5 for 1yr, that's only really 6 months where there may be some sort of appreciable 'loss'. OP wasn't after an optimal performing setup, just a stretch of the existing one. Otherwise the answer to every single upgrade question would be 'buy a new setup' (which is too often the answer stated on here even though it's wrong).

There's posts on here--person got bashed for it too. Do the search. There were at least 2 threads like this in the last year. Person got the 1080Ti for cheap/free in both cases.

Offensive is on the receiver. Anyone can find anything offensive. Your accusation was that of a personal attack. A personal attack would have been, "You are absolutely retarded to do this." If you strip away all the other clauses in this sentence, it reads 'You are retarded', which is a personal attack. Now, let's examine what I posted, "No, it is absolutely retarded to do this." Strip away the extra clauses and you have 'it is retarded'. It is referring to the concept, not you. Again in all the clauses you are referencing, I am directly talking about the topic at hand--"Worrying is stupid." At no point does this indicate an inference to the person making such a decision, nor was that my intention. Again, I find the idea that a system must be balanced to be stupid, not the person who thinks this.

OP is probably long gone with their answer as is common in these threads, so I wouldn't worry about offending them. They also got to see the pros and cons for both a balanced and unbalanced setup and can make up their own mind.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is OP. There is a lot of unnecessary noises and none of the replies really answered the question, which is what games are actually CPU bound by something like i5-3570K below 60fps @1080P if GPU is not the constraint. Some emphasis from the original post.

1. As I said the RTX 3090 is for my Daz3D hobby. If you don't know how RTX3090 benefits CG rendering then please refrain from commenting on cost-benefit analysis of my purchase.

2. The last demanding game I played was Witcher 3 and it was GPU bound and I am pretty sure I could get 60fps @1080P pairing i5-3570K with RTX 3090. That is the reason I am curious if I need to upgrade the CPU right now or even in the near future. All the CPU bound analysis I've seen are aiming to push fps well into triple digits which is not what I need at all.

PS: I have been building my own PC for ~30 years, rest assured the PSU and other stuff are balanced per my needs as I go (Seasonic Platinum 750W). What I am lacking is an updated view of current and upcoming gaming tech whose development seems to have been severely lagging in CPU usage.

Last edited: