Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello Newsgroup,
I was wondering if anybody in here could help me decoding an errorlog from
Ghost 2003. I tried to burn an image to DVD but it did not work.
I know this is not symantec newsgroup, but I'm expecting more help here.

Thanks

Error Number: (12024)
Message: Neue CD kann nicht gestartet werden(new cd cannot be started)
Version: 2003.793 (Jan 28 2004, Build=793)
Command line
arguments: -igb -bootcd=\ghost\bootcd.dat -z1 -imgdescfile=\ghost\imgdescp.txt
-wizard -clone,mode=pcreate,src=@GFf589cfe3-04fc-4d9a-b451-93d869464001:63,dst=@CD[ID:868546]
-ghwrap
Active Switches :
Aufteilen
Autom. Name

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From: "Albert Sporrer" <jlstorck2@internet.lu>

| Hello Newsgroup,
| I was wondering if anybody in here could help me decoding an errorlog from
| Ghost 2003. I tried to burn an image to DVD but it did not work.
| I know this is not symantec newsgroup, but I'm expecting more help here.
|
| Thanks
|
| Error Number: (12024)
| Message: Neue CD kann nicht gestartet werden(new cd cannot be started)
| Version: 2003.793 (Jan 28 2004, Build=793)
| Command line
| arguments: -igb -bootcd=\ghost\bootcd.dat -z1 -imgdescfile=\ghost\imgdescp.txt
| -wizard
| -clone,mode=pcreate,src=@GFf589cfe3-04fc-4d9a-b451-93d869464001:63,dst=@CD[ID:868546]
| -ghwrap Active Switches :
| Aufteilen
| Autom. Name

Albert:

You would get better results from a Symantec News Group for such a specific Symantec/Norton
error.
Such as; symantec.customerservice.general

BTW: The language used (German ?) doesn't help.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've had this problem before with certain DVD Writers.
Norton Ghost prefers CD's for ghost image burning and is
temperamental with DVD Rewriters.

ArronG

"Albert Sporrer" <jlstorck2@internet.lu> wrote in message
> Hello Newsgroup,
> I was wondering if anybody in here could help me decoding an errorlog from
> Ghost 2003. I tried to burn an image to DVD but it did not work.
> I know this is not symantec newsgroup, but I'm expecting more help here.
>
> Thanks
>

> Error Number: (12024)
> Message: Neue CD kann nicht gestartet werden(new cd cannot be started)
> Version: 2003.793 (Jan 28 2004, Build=793)
> Command line
> arguments: -igb -bootcd=\ghost\bootcd.dat -z1 -imgdescfile=\ghost\imgdescp.txt
> -wizard -clone,mode=pcreate,src=@GFf589cfe3-04fc-4d9a-b451-93d869464001:63,dst=@CD[ID:868546]
> -ghwrap
> Active Switches :
> Aufteilen
> Autom. Name

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alternate method:
Create a dedicated Image partition on your disk drive (Requires free or
unallocated space - or Partition Magic, BootItNG). Create/Verify your
image to the dedicated partition. Then boot to Windows and burn images
to your preferred media. Much more reliable than direct burns to CD/DVD.

From: "Arron G" <arrong@hotmail.com>

| I've had this problem before with certain DVD Writers.
| Norton Ghost prefers CD's for ghost image burning and is
| temperamental with DVD Rewriters.
|
| ArronG

One must make sure that you are using Ghost 2003 Build 793. The last build version of 2003.

--

Albert Sporrer wrote:
> Hello Newsgroup,
> I was wondering if anybody in here could help me decoding an errorlog from
> Ghost 2003. I tried to burn an image to DVD but it did not work.

I was going crazy trying to make Ghost 2003 write to my DVD. I was
using Verbatim -RW 2X media, and it just would not work on either of
two completey different drives. I then tried Verbatim +RW 4X, and
voila, works like a charm. Based on this, I must assume that Ghost is
somewhat sensitive to the type of media in use.

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> One must make sure that you are using Ghost 2003 Build 793. The last
> build version of 2003.

I have version 2003.775, how do I get version 793 please?

anna

"Fridhelm Neubauer" <frieneubaerr@freenet.de> wrote in message
> I have version 2003.775, how do I get version 793 please?

Fridhelm:
Assuming you're connected to the net, access your Ghost 2003 program and
click on the LiveUpdate menu item. On the following screen click the Next
button. The program will connect to Symantec's site and automatically
download/install the latest update to your Ghost program, i.e., build
2003.793.
Anna

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks ;-), but live update does not find any updates for Ghost 2003.

From: "Fridhelm Neubauer" <frieneubaerr@freenet.de>

| Thanks ;-), but live update does not find any updates for Ghost 2003.
|
| "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> click on the LiveUpdate menu item. On the following screen click the Next
>> button. The program will connect to Symantec's site and automatically
>> download/install the latest update to your Ghost program, i.e., build
>> 2003.793.

Then it is propably no longer offered up as an update do the time lapse.

Ghost 2003 is included with Ghost 9 and it is the latest build.

--

> Then it is propably no longer offered up as an update do the time lapse.
>
> Ghost 2003 is included with Ghost 9 and it is the latest build.
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

As a test, I just installed Ghost 2003 (original installation CD about 2
yrs.old) in one of my machines. The build shown was 2003.775. Using the
LiveUpdate feature, Symantec downloaded the 789 build and *not* the latest
build, i.e., 2003.793. Why they provided the 789 and not the 793 build I
don't know. I plan to contact Symantec about this.

In any event, I think there's no problem using the 789 build in lieu of the
793 one. The basic problem with the earlier versions of Ghost 2003 shortly
after it was released had to do with problems involving disk-to-disk cloning
to some USB external HDs. I'm pretty sure (but not absolutely certain) that
the problem was corrected by the time the 789 build was released. I recall
there was also a problem involving the cloning of SATA drives and I can't
remember whether that problem was corrected by the time the 789 build was
released.

I assume the Ghost 2003 CD which accompanies the Ghost 9 (retail, boxed
copy) program is the 2003.793 build.

Fridhelm: Did you check the Help > About Norton Ghost 2003 item? What build
is shown?
Anna

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>> Ghost 2003 is included with Ghost 9 and it is the latest build.

I don't buy Ghost 9 because I don't like it, I prefer to image my disk in
DOS
I guess that means that I have to stick with my old Ghost version.

> Fridhelm: Did you check the Help > About Norton Ghost 2003 item? What
> build is shown?
> Anna

Of course, still showing build 775

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:12:15 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote :

>As a test, I just installed Ghost 2003 (original installation CD about 2
>yrs.old) in one of my machines. The build shown was 2003.775. Using the
>LiveUpdate feature, Symantec downloaded the 789 build and *not* the latest
>build, i.e., 2003.793. Why they provided the 789 and not the 793 build I
>don't know. I plan to contact Symantec about this.

I've had Ghost 2003 since, I dunno, 2003, with NIS and NAV 2003 and
have had live update set to auto for some years. I don't like Ghost 9
or any other imaging software that runs in Windows.

I just checked the Ghost build and it is now at 2003.793, so live
update must have worked for me, but unfortunately I don't know when -
perhaps now Ghost 9 is out, they are discouraging Ghost 2003, even
though it is on the 9 CD? Strange that the online update version
would have reverted to an earlier build!

BTW, Build 793 writes to my DVD burner fine, including spanning images
over 4 DVD's. (Note to self - I must uninstall some of that junk
software and games I have installed)
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

richter

Distinguished
May 5, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Try this... http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html
use Automated Support Assistant and I think there is a new live update for
live update..then try to update ghost

Matt

"Richter" <george@U812l.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Try this... http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/consumer.html
> use Automated Support Assistant and I think there is a new live update for
> live update..then try to update ghost

Unfortunately there's no update to the latest build.
The Automated Support Assistant did not find any issues with
Norton Ghost 2003.

richter

Distinguished
May 5, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

sorry that didn't help

Matt