Any god suggestions on how to boost up my rig?

bryandb

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Hi,

I am new here, and I am having problem with my home build system.

My system:

P4 2.4ghz Norwood 800fsb (socket 478)
MSI Neo FISR-LSR (intel 857p chipset)
PNY 6600GT 128 MB ddr3 AGP
1 GB PC3200 Kingston memory ( 2 sticks, but difference model)
40G Harddrive, probably running at 5400 rpm and ata 100
Power supply is from Raidmax 420W

No overclock, everything is original

My problem is that how come my system is slow when I play games, I don't seem to have a fast frame rate in game. I was running a different system at my friend's house with only 512mb ram and Nvidia 5500 64mb video card, and it still outperforms my system. No lags and no skipping frames. By the way, he is running Sempron 3400 64 bit. I think it might be my motherboard's problem, cuz I tried running some benchmark, it says that my motherboard temp is too high, somewhere around high 50 degree C. The BIOS of the motherboard is up-to-date, so I am not worried about that, so is the driver for the video card.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Your assumptions are probably correct--it is your motherboard. Your video card is fine, and your memory and power supply are definately not bottlenecks. I will point out that your CPU is pretty old, but that may not be the issue...what games are they? Are they the brand new ones? What resolution/settings are you playing them at? Also do you have over 1 GB of free space on drive C? Let me know.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
hmmm...interesting. This game is particularly old. May sound ridiculous, but try a really old video card driver, like the 66.93 nvidia driver. That game was designed to work on TNT2 video cards and such so if you use 8x.xx version drivers the performance will likely be much, much worse than at least the 7x.xx drivers.