Any good "bent pins" warranties?

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello forums,

I am just about to purchase the CPU for my first build which is an i5 3570k, and one thing I am extremely worried about is bending the pins upon installation.

I was going to order an Accidental Damage from Handling warranty from Newegg, but they say they won't cover "wear and tear" which may be bent pins. Amazon offers a two year plan somewhat similar, but neither specifically speaks of bent pins.

So, could anyone please tell me what type of warranty does cover such incidents as bent pins because this is the part of the building that worries me the most, and both of these warranties seem they could slither their way out of covering me.

Thank you for any assistance.

ChilledGrease

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
You really don't need to worry about bending the pins, it's pretty hard. Also, the motherboard contains the bendable pins for all Intel sockets, not the CPU, so if you insist on getting a warranty for bent pins, you'l want one for your motherboard. But trust me, I've built 8 intel rigs now, and upgraded many more, and I've never any problems with bending pins. Just make sure you lightly drop the CPU into the socket. DO NOT press down on it at all, that will bend the pins. Otherwise, be careful that nothing but the CPU touches the socket, and you will be fine.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
I never bent pins in any of my installations so i don't think you will have any problems with that. Don't touch them and don't force them that's it. It was easier back in the days with the socket 478 ... Pins were on the processor so they were easier to put back. You won't have any problems with them. Watch some videos showing you how to build a computer and do it like they do it.

- The Brownie

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You would have to be pretty rough to damage anything installing that CPU. Just set it on the socket and close the cover and lock it. It is extremely easy to do.
The AMD line of processors have exposed pins that are a bit easier to bend accidentally. But Intel CPUs just have contacts on the bottom. The 'pins' on the socket are more like contacts also, so it is highly unlikely you will damage them.

TRENDING THREADS