[SOLVED] Any good coolers for Ryzen 9 5900x or Ryzen 7 5800x?

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
I am thinking of getting a risen 5xxx CPU, as well as a 240mm radiator but people are saying that some air coolers can match, or even beat the performance or a 240mm rad. I am think of the Lian Li 240 AIO white, for my white themed build. I will take any suggestions, Thank you :).

Also I have another question. If I get the h100i elite cappelix, can I add ll120s to the commander core that comes with the AIO? If I have to buy the corsair commander pro, is it worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
More or less(bottom to top):
Downdraft air
120mm hybrid[Users should only really consider this for chassis where a tower air cooler wouldn't fit.]
140mm hybrid[I don't think they make these anymore...]
Tower air
Large single tower/ dual tower/ 240mm hybrid
*280mm hybrid
*360mm hybrid
*420mm hybrid
There's good/bad air coolers just like there's good/bad hybrid coolers. In most situations, a good air cooler isn't going to beat a good hybrid cooler, if all you care about is performance.

The reason for the asterisk: due to the weaknesses of hybrid coolers, there are situations where performance between those 3 isn't all that different.
Like, 280mm is equal to or less than some 360mm, and 360mm is equal to or less than 420mm. For the larger...
I am thinking of getting a risen 5xxx CPU, as well as a 240mm radiator but people are saying that some air coolers can match, or even beat the performance or a 240mm rad. I am think of the Lian Li 240 AIO white, for my white themed build. I will take any suggestions, Thank you :).

Also I have another question. If I get the h100i elite cappelix, can I add ll120s to the commander core that comes with the AIO? If I have to buy the corsair commander pro, is it worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Zen3/5000 Ryzen is allowed higher temps than predecessors but 5800 and 5900 are different so you should look for a cooler once you decide that. A good 240/280 might suffice for 5800x but for 5900x I would choose 360 AIO cooler if you want relative silence.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
More or less(bottom to top):
Downdraft air
120mm hybrid[Users should only really consider this for chassis where a tower air cooler wouldn't fit.]
140mm hybrid[I don't think they make these anymore...]
Tower air
Large single tower/ dual tower/ 240mm hybrid
*280mm hybrid
*360mm hybrid
*420mm hybrid
There's good/bad air coolers just like there's good/bad hybrid coolers. In most situations, a good air cooler isn't going to beat a good hybrid cooler, if all you care about is performance.

The reason for the asterisk: due to the weaknesses of hybrid coolers, there are situations where performance between those 3 isn't all that different.
Like, 280mm is equal to or less than some 360mm, and 360mm is equal to or less than 420mm. For the larger units to make more of a difference, you probably need to put them over an Intel X series or Threadripper.

Hybrid coolers aren't cost effective solutions, but if there were a price to performance, or value tier, it'd be 280mm.

If I get the h100i elite cappelix, can I add ll120s to the commander core that comes with the AIO?
1)I don't see why you couldn't... it's all Corsair anyway.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i really don't want to mess with the front fans (I'm a noob :/) so i thought to get the 240 mm rad at the top
What does being a noob have to do with moving around fans? Assembling the PC is harder.
Anyways-
What's the gpu you're going to be installing in there? Because if you're looking to put a 3080/3090 in there, you could be asking for some trouble with just a top 240mm.
I wouldn't be skeptical at all if the cpu in question was a 5600X - instead, it's 2 of the hottest products in the Ryzen 5000 stack.
Top mounted radiators have to cope with not only the cpu, but the heat coming off the gpu.
The same can be said if you mounted the hybrid cooler in the front as intake, but cpus don't easily push 300w+ of power( like quite a number of gpus can) either.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok? That's another part of the whole puzzle down.
"What's the gpu?", and that should complete said puzzle.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...d-errors-during-gaming.3689396/#post-22227849
O11 XL: bottom and side intake, rear and top exhaust(Kraken X62)
3900X
RTX 3090 Suprim X
That's some good hardware the OP has in this thread, right? It should've been nice and cool - but the system was crashing in game due to thermals, and it wasn't the cpu.[Likely the VRM]
By changing the top to intake and the side to exhaust, the crashing stopped. A bit unconventional to have top intake, but it helped the user here.
Too much heat was passing through the top + rear and wasn't getting out effectively.

TRENDING THREADS