Any good Criticism for this setup?

Fishikaint

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I bought and assembled the build (however the mobo had to be RMA and I'm waiting for it right now) and was just looking for some good criticism, or pros and cons of this system configuration.

~~Specs~~

Mobo: M5A97 LE R2.0

CPU: FX6300 3.5 Ghz

GPU: msi twin frozr GTX 770 GDDR5 2GB

RAM: 8 GB of some cheap DDR3 I got from staples

HDD: 1 TB seagate drive

Optical drive: got a cheap one from staples

Case: Atec one mid ATX case

Power supply: Antec 620w bronze certified

So there you have it, so my

questions: is this a good gaming set up?

I have a low mid size budget so was this good for a $800-900 build?

I'm interested in over clocking but don't know what it does, how to do it and can this system handle it?

I don't have my OS yet what do you suggest? I've heard pros and cons of both windows 7 and 8 and am confused.

Thanks if you are able to answer all or any of these questions.

Solution
That's what bottlenecking is, yes. However, don't use the cooler that came with the CPU for OC'ing, ever. No matter your fan setup, it's a bad idea. Wait until you get a cooler, even a cheap one like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is good, especially considering it's about $30.

Sylvanriv

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
It's quite good, but I'd overclock to get the maximum performance possible out of your CPU, because right now the FX-6300 is probably bottle-necking the GTX 770, which is a beast of a card. I can't tell you how to overclock because I'm not an expert, but it's not hard and there are loads of easy-to-follow guides out there. When you overclock, be sure to get a good CPU cooler. For an OS, I really like 7 but I hear 8 is a bit better for gaming (speed, etc).

Fishikaint

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I'm using the cooler that came with the CPU, and bottle necking is basically not letting the full potential of the card out right? I have 2 case fans top and rear, will that let me overclock a bit till I get a better CPU cooler?

Sylvanriv

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
That's what bottlenecking is, yes. However, don't use the cooler that came with the CPU for OC'ing, ever. No matter your fan setup, it's a bad idea. Wait until you get a cooler, even a cheap one like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is good, especially considering it's about $30.

Solution

Sylvanriv

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
You should be able to play games on very high if not ultra. There won't be too much of a bottleneck. However, I'd highly recommend upgrading to an FX-8320 for only a bit more if you're not overclocking.

Fishikaint

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Unfortunately I'm low on money however I will start saving up now and maybe in 2 years or so upgrade my CPU to the more latest or powerful one in that year, just a bit of future proofing.