Any good LCD monitor for audio work ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <39mq2mF612op5U1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:
>
>>> Exactly what do you have to do in order to make this work? There isn't
>>> a button that says "put this window on Monitor 2" is there?
>>
>> http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp
>
> Where am I supposed to look among those couple of dozen topics?
> Is there a simple explanation as to what makes this work?

Windows 2k and XP handle it natively. There was a description on the
page of how to do it once you have two monitors hooked to either two
cards or two outputs of a dual monitor card.

> is it specific to a program or to a card?

There are some enhancements from some of the card vendors (made in their
drivers) but in general it is all the same. Matrox (and I think ATI)
had special drivers for Win98 and WinNT that would let you run dual-head.

In general (for Win2k/XP anyway):

Right-click on the desktop, choose properties, then click the 'settings'
tab. You should see two rectangles representing the two monitors.
Select number two and there will be some options to control how the
desktop is managed across the monitors.

In article <Ro2dncVjRb69QavfRVn-sw@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> You need two monitors and a PC with either two video cards or one video card
> that incorporates the function of two video cards.

Understood.

> Once you've booted the machine, only one of the displays will be active. You
> have to go into display properties and activate the second monitor and
> extend the desktop onto the second monitor.

That's the part I don't know how to do. I suspect that if I had the
hardware, assuming the computer recognized it, I'd figure it out.

> In display properties under settings there is a shematic of your displays.
> At this point the second one will be shaded out. Right click it, and select
> attached. It will become unshaded and have a highlighting line around it.
> There will be a check box for extending the desktop to this monitor.

Well, I'll be darned. I tried that on my laptop and I got this far.
When I saved the settings, I had a plain blue background on the CRT
and the real desktop on the laptop's LDC. I couldn't drag anything to
the CRT, though. The cursor didn't even go there.

Perhaps this just isn't set up to support two monitors, even though it
goes through the motions.

> Well, I'll be darned. I tried that on my laptop and I got this far.
> When I saved the settings, I had a plain blue background on the CRT
> and the real desktop on the laptop's LDC. I couldn't drag anything to
> the CRT, though. The cursor didn't even go there.

Are you sure you were trying to move the cursor off of the correct edge of
the primary display? The way the two screens are arranged in the "Settings"
window is how they're logically related to each other. If you want the
second one to be to the right of the first one, arrange them that way in the
Settings window.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

In article <d17jcd$fsd$1@news01.intel.com>, "Richard Crowley"
<richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote:

> www.geeks.com is currently selling the Matrox G450 Dual Head
> 16MB AGP video card for US$19.99 I just bought two.
> http://www.geeks.com/additem.asp?InvtId=G45MDHA16D-R&Cat=VCD
> IMHO, ideal for video and audio NLE.

I just bought a 64mb one off ebay for $25 with shipping.

In article <glMZd.8$oc.3022@news.abs.net> laurent@charm.net writes:

> Are you sure you were trying to move the cursor off of the correct edge of
> the primary display?

Sorry, that's more than I think I should be expected to know. <g>

Maybe I was just trying to do something that doesn't work. I was just
trying to move the cursor into the other screen. I did try in all
directions.

One thing that happened after I thought I had un-attached the second
monitor (but apparently didn't) was that the cursor disappeared from
the CRT. I popped up the laptop screen and by golly, saw the cursor
there. When I used the function key on the laptop to switch between
the LCD/external video/both, I got the cursor back on the CRT. I
un-attached the second monitor again (I think) and haven't looked
back.

During this brief bit of light with the cursor on the "wrong" screen,
I could right-click in that screen and get the usual desktop
right-click menu.

> window is how they're logically related to each other. If you want the
> second one to be to the right of the first one, arrange them that way in the
> Settings window.

That's the way they are. And when I click on "Identify" I get 1 and 2
displayed where I expect them. My immediate application (what I really
wanted to do when I got to thinkihg about this) was to display two
different photos on the two screens. My JPG viewer program is an old
(free, and 16-bit) version of LView Pro. What I was hoping was that I
could open that program for each of the two photos, then drag one to
the second screen, but that didn't work. As I dragged it in any
direction (OK, I didn't try down) I never saw it peep on to the second
screen.

I'm willing to accept that I was just trying with a backward program.
But I assume that a reasonable use for two monitors is to have two
windows open, one on each monitor - like mixer on one, tracks on the
other, in a DAW program. Maybe I should try it with one. It's not
really practical to use the way I have it set up though, with the
laptop computer up on a shelf a foot above the CRT. I can only see it
if I stand up.

Just playing around.

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
> Maybe I was just trying to do something that doesn't work. I was just
> trying to move the cursor into the other screen. I did try in all
> directions.

Do you have the box checked:
"Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"?

It seems like a silly question to me, but there it is on the "Display
Properties" screen. Dunno why/when the answer would ever be
"no".

> In article <Ro2dncVjRb69QavfRVn-sw@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com
> writes:
>
>> You need two monitors and a PC with either two video cards or one
>> video card that incorporates the function of two video cards.
>
> Understood.
>
>> Once you've booted the machine, only one of the displays will be
>> active. You have to go into display properties and activate the
>> second monitor and extend the desktop onto the second monitor.
>
> That's the part I don't know how to do. I suspect that if I had the
> hardware, assuming the computer recognized it, I'd figure it out.
>
>> In display properties under settings there is a shematic of your
>> displays. At this point the second one will be shaded out. Right
>> click it, and select attached. It will become unshaded and have a
>> highlighting line around it. There will be a check box for extending
>> the desktop to this monitor.
>
> Well, I'll be darned. I tried that on my laptop and I got this far.
> When I saved the settings, I had a plain blue background on the CRT
> and the real desktop on the laptop's LDC.

I believe that means that you didn't extend the desktop onto the CRT, or
that your desktop is plain blue.

If you do things right, you get the same background on both displays,
wallpaper and all.

What you don't get on the second display is a start button and a task bar.
You may or may not have desktop icons on both displays, depending on whether
you have auto-arrange turned on, how many icons you have, and where you
dragged them to if auto-arrange is off.

>I couldn't drag anything to the CRT, though. The cursor didn't even go
there.

Another sign that you hadn't extended the desktop to the CRT.

> Perhaps this just isn't set up to support two monitors, even though it
> goes through the motions.

I doubt that because you're close.

If you do everything right, it works! ;-)

In article <DOCdnV8enKSR1KXfRVn-iA@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> I believe that means that you didn't extend the desktop onto the CRT, or
> that your desktop is plain blue.
>
> If you do things right, you get the same background on both displays,
> wallpaper and all.

My desktop is plain blue. I did have the "extend the Windows desktop"
box clicked, but I think that the problem was that I didn't understand
the side-to-side orientation (which probably makes very good sense
with two monitors side by side. Since the laptop is on the shelf above
the monitor, I was trying to drag a window upward (through the top of
the CRT) and looking for it to appear coming up from the bottom of the
LCD screen. I think that when I did see a cursor on the top (right)
screen it didn't dawn on me that I had gone off the CRT screen to the
right.

I just tried it again, and now I have two pictures, one on each
screen. Then, thinking about the relative orientation of the displays that
Arny mentioned, I discovered that (on the Display Settings screen) I
could indeed drag Monitor 2 up above Monitor 1, and then it worked
the way I expected it to. Too bad the job that I wanted that for is already
done, but at least I learned how to do something I hadn't done before.

Now if only I can remember it if I ever actually need it.

Thanks, Arny and Richard.

Lou Gimenez wrote:
> Recently I picked up a Samsung 213 21" LCD which I love. Logic is a screen
> hog, this makes life easier.

Darn you people! Darn you to heck!

You had to go and mention LCDs, and then I checked pricescan.com for
the latest Samsung 213T prices, and it turns out there is now a $100
rebate out on them for the rest of the month. And the price has
dropped to under $800 at lots of online stores.

If it weren't for this discussion, I wouldn't have known that, and
I'd've been able to hold out a while longer, I'm sure. But knowing
it was suddenly about $140 cheaper than last time I checked, I just
couldn't stop myself. It was only $759 + $24 shipping - $100 rebate,
and it arrives tomorrow. (Apparently I live only about 200 miles
away from buy.com's distribution center, so the cheapest shipping
option still gets here the next day!)

The only down side (apart from having spent money) is that the $100
rebate is supposed to take not the usual 4-6 weeks but a whopping
10-12 weeks. WTF? Are they processing them at the corporate
headquarters in Korea and shipping them back over by boat or something?
Oh well, as long as I do get the money eventually, I guess I can't
complain.

- Logan

In article <Bq1_d.2484$nW3.1188@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> The only down side (apart from having spent money) is that the $100
> rebate is supposed to take not the usual 4-6 weeks but a whopping
> 10-12 weeks. WTF?

They're hoping you forget when they "forget" to send it to you.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:41:33 -0600, jnh@epsno.com (Jedd Haas) wrote:

>In article <Bq1_d.2484$nW3.1188@tornado.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
><lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> The only down side (apart from having spent money) is that the $100
>> rebate is supposed to take not the usual 4-6 weeks but a whopping
>> 10-12 weeks. WTF?
>
>They're hoping you forget when they "forget" to send it to you.

And their accountants like them to keep that money for a full
financial quarter.

Al

I got mine for about 800 w shipping
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

In article <Bq1_d.2484$nW3.1188@tornado.texas.rr.com> lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com writes:

> The only down side (apart from having spent money) is that the $100
> rebate is supposed to take not the usual 4-6 weeks but a whopping
> 10-12 weeks. WTF?

I just read a "consumer" article about rebates last week. There have
been a number of companies who just never send rebates, hoping that
you'll forget about them. I've been lucky, but I know others who
haven't.

But still, $729 is a lot of money to spend on a monitor. Glad my
console doesn't need one - and it's bigger than your monitor. <g>

is there a problem with how fast a lcd monitorcan display to the screen
for sync work?

this is a new lcd monitor that is being released,
"ViewSonic intros faster LCD monitors"

dale

Mike Rivers wrote:
> I just read a "consumer" article about rebates last week. There have
> been a number of companies who just never send rebates, hoping that
> you'll forget about them. I've been lucky, but I know others who
> haven't.

I'm thinking Samsung is a big enough company that they probably
won't try to cheat me in that department. Plus if they do, they
have some kind of facility here in Austin, so worse comes to worse
I can go in person and demand my money.

> But still, $729 is a lot of money to spend on a monitor. Glad my
> console doesn't need one - and it's bigger than your monitor. <g>

If you spend most of your working hours in front of it, $700-ish
is actually not a lot at all to spend on a monitor. It's a small
price to pay for increased productivity and for preserving your
eyesight.

Plus, I spent about that much on the last monitor I bought new,
which was a 17" CRT monitor with a 15.9" viewable area. That was
about 7 years ago, so if I buy a new $700 monitor every 7 years,
then I'm only spending $100 year, which is totally worth it
considering how much one-on-one time me and the computer have.

- Logan

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>> I just read a "consumer" article about rebates last week. There have
>> been a number of companies who just never send rebates, hoping that
>> you'll forget about them. I've been lucky, but I know others who
>> haven't.
>
> I'm thinking Samsung is a big enough company that they probably
> won't try to cheat me in that department. Plus if they do, they
> have some kind of facility here in Austin, so worse comes to worse
> I can go in person and demand my money.
>
>> But still, $729 is a lot of money to spend on a monitor. Glad my
>> console doesn't need one - and it's bigger than your monitor. <g>
>
> If you spend most of your working hours in front of it, $700-ish
> is actually not a lot at all to spend on a monitor. It's a small
> price to pay for increased productivity and for preserving your
> eyesight.
>
> Plus, I spent about that much on the last monitor I bought new,
> which was a 17" CRT monitor with a 15.9" viewable area. That was
> about 7 years ago, so if I buy a new $700 monitor every 7 years,
> then I'm only spending $100 year, which is totally worth it
> considering how much one-on-one time me and the computer have.
>
> - Logan

Me, too. Same for the $800 chair. Best equipment money I spent last year.

Steve King

In article <XCE_d.1793$ot.1001@tornado.texas.rr.com> lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com writes:

> Mike Rivers wrote:
> > I just read a "consumer" article about rebates last week. There have
> > been a number of companies who just never send rebates

> I'm thinking Samsung is a big enough company that they probably
> won't try to cheat me in that department. Plus if they do, they
> have some kind of facility here in Austin, so worse comes to worse
> I can go in person and demand my money.

Rebates are almost always handled by a fulfillment company. You won't
get your money if you go to Samsung in Austin. You probably have to go
to Eden Prairie, Minnesota, where most of these things seem to come
from.

I don't think they'll cheat you either, but it'll take every bit as
long as they say it will. I just got a $10 rebate check yesterday for
a USB memory stick that I bought in January. I forgot about that one.
Good lunch! Yum!

> Plus, I spent about that much on the last monitor I bought new,
> which was a 17" CRT monitor with a 15.9" viewable area. That was
> about 7 years ago

The last monitor I bought (for my studio computer) was a 19" CRT at
the used computer store. I think I paid $129 for it about two years
ago and it was essentially new. I had to leave the carton there
because it wouldn't fit in my car. I agree that having a monitor that
makes you comfortable is a good thing though. If that's what it takes,
then that's what you should do. I spend most of my day behind
computers and I'm still happy with 17" CRTs (but web page text on the
one that runs at 1280x1024 pixels is getting mighty small).