[SOLVED] Any good ways to dump waste heat?

lottaphotos4

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Hello.

About a year ago I finally built my new system (Intel8700K/Radeon RX Vega); I'm very happy with the performance, however this thing is a first class heat pump when I'm gaming.

To be clear, the system runs fine/not too hot, but it blows so much hot air out the back (mostly from the grahpcis card) that the room I'm in heats up a lot. In the winter, I was opening the window to let the hot air out and the cold air in. Now that it's coming up on Summer, my current options are to turn up the A/C for the entire house, buy a window or wall A/C unit for the room, or sweat.

The question is simple: Does anybody know of any simple (and not too expensive) solutions to vent the waste heat out of the back of the graphics card (rear blowing vent) and straight out the wall or window, sort of like a dryer vent? I'm hoping somebody has seen an already created solution that I can buy and use out of the box. My preference would be something that attaches to the rear of my PC tower, goes through a flexible (hear resistant) tube, and out a small vent I can place in the window...something with possibly a small inline fan to force/pump the heat out, and is weather/bug proof at the window end.

If not, I"m going to Home Depot to look through the dryer venting section to try to gin something up on my own. But I'd rather use an established/tested product if it's out there.

Thank youj.

Solution
You wouldn't be the first to do this.

You need a large high CFM exhaust fan. 1 fan is easier to work with than dual fans, and top mounted exhaust fans are easier to work with. Use a piece of rigid foam insulation, cutout for your fan. Attach this to the top of the computer over the exhaust and run a piece of flexible duct to either a window opening or exhaust hood/dryer vent that you install. The foam gives you a solid base to attach to the case and a mounting point for your ducting. A piece of plywood would work just as well, but you need tools, hole saw, etc...

For a window you can buy an exhaust hose kit used for portable air conditioners that comes with the windows plate. Or install a dryer/exhaust hood into your siding...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs & OS.

Include PSU.

What temperatures are you seeing?

That much heat, to me, indicates some sort of problem.

A dryer-like vent may be viable. However, if there is additional resistance to the airflows (via the ductwork) the system may just get hotter. Outside winds, for example, could reduce and even reverse the air flows.

How big is the room?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A working desktop like that will always discharge heat from the CPU cooler (out case fans), out the rear exhaust of the PSU and heat from the GPU either out rear exhaust or case fans, depending on how the GPU cooling system is designed.

This heat is not avoidable, which seems to be understood, but mostly 'what can be done with it' other than allowing it to heat the room.

Window fans can help - especially when the weather is fair and not excessively hot or cold outside.

Pedestal or box fans also help to circulate into and out of the room by placing them in a doorway of the room.

Some homes have whole-house fans where a large attic fan pulls air through vents to create drafted circulation, but again, only idea in fair weather months where air conditioning or furnace use is not occurring and diminishing those heating/cooling resources.

gondo

Distinguished
You wouldn't be the first to do this.

You need a large high CFM exhaust fan. 1 fan is easier to work with than dual fans, and top mounted exhaust fans are easier to work with. Use a piece of rigid foam insulation, cutout for your fan. Attach this to the top of the computer over the exhaust and run a piece of flexible duct to either a window opening or exhaust hood/dryer vent that you install. The foam gives you a solid base to attach to the case and a mounting point for your ducting. A piece of plywood would work just as well, but you need tools, hole saw, etc...

For a window you can buy an exhaust hose kit used for portable air conditioners that comes with the windows plate. Or install a dryer/exhaust hood into your siding which again requires more work/knowledge/tools.

This type of setup will significantly reduce your ambient room temperature, so the air intake into the computer is now cooler resulting in a cooler computer and less heat being exhausted. I've seen rooms go from 95'C down to 75'C with an exhaust setup. I've seen people exhaust hot air in summer, and bring cool air in spring/fall to the intake fans. And in Winter do nothing and heat your room.

It's no different than venting server and electrical rooms with exhaust fans and a damper in the wall that opens.

You can buy a boot/collar with a flange used to mount at the computer end and it accepts a duct in the size you buy. You can get rectangular ones that would fit over 2 fans and convert to a 5" duct. Just cut a square out of the plywood and fit it over your fans. You can even put edging on the plywood sides and stain it to match your case so it looks nice.

Someone should invent a computer case with a plastic adapter that snaps over the exhaust fans with a flexible duct option like a portable air conditioner. Make it so you can snap to the top of the case for summer, and front of the case for winter when it's colder outside. A $30 accessory and have your entire case line support it. I think it would catch on. I've sold a lot of heatsinks to gamers who's computers where overheating in the summer and shutting down, and they would love a case like this.

Solution