[SOLVED] Any graphic drivers makes my pc blackscreen and crash.

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
My computer gave me the following problems: my screen flickered constantly and then my computer restarted sometimes if i wait for 1-2 minutes. When it flickers the screen eventually turns the windows background to a complete black one and u can't navigate. So at first i though it could be my windows OS getting corrupt. Having reinstalled windows 10 pro 64 bit completely multiple times with a usb stick didn't fix the issue.

Also checked if there where loose cable connections, but that is not the issue. I have 2 monitors tested and still same issue.

I have bought a new graphic card: ZOTAC - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - TWIN FAN. The graphic video card worked nicely for the first 2 days, but blackscreens afterwards. At first I though it was the problem with that my new gpu was defective. But i switched the gpu and tested with my AMD older gpu and it has the same issues, so it can't really be the problem of the gpu i think. Both AMD and nvidia drivers result in blackscreens.

There were also small graphic artifacts or lines that appeared once on the monitor screen when operating my computer or while gaming. See the following screenshot.

The temperatures of the video card always remain below 60 degrees. Due to the low temperatures, these artifacts cannot possibly be due to overheating of the graphics card.

I have unistalled all drivers with DDU and checked manually if any drivers where still on my harddrive. Still everything was deleted, and when i did a fresh install of the drivers advertised on website with the right OS it still resulted in same issue.

The computer seems to work fine in safe mode, with the default microsoft display driver.

So what is the problem? Could it be that any other component is malfunctioning: the Motherboard or psu maybe? I don't know what's going on, its weird please help.. From the inside of the case everything looks to be ok and up running.

GPU: R9 390 8GB gaming // ZOTAC - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - TWIN FAN.
MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 3
CPU: Intel CORE I7-4790K 4.00GHZ
PSU: ANTEC EDG750W
RAM: 16GB DDR3 - 1600 mhz

Last edited:
Solution
make sure your running a Pci-E power cable from each 12v rail on the PSU. Dont use a single cable to plug in both 6 and 8 pin on the card. You need 2 cables running from the GPU to PSU.

g-unit1111

Titan
What kind of cable are you using to connect your monitor to your GPU? Is it a DP or an HDMI?

I ran into this problem on my own build and figured out that it was the DP cable that I was using that was causing issues. I swapped it with an HDMI cable and it runs perfectly fine now.

Thomas4140

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
What kind of cable are you using to connect your monitor to your GPU? Is it a DP or an HDMI?

I ran into this problem on my own build and figured out that it was the DP cable that I was using that was causing issues. I swapped it with an HDMI cable and it runs perfectly fine now.
I ran DVI, HDMI and DP all the same blackscreens

Any card that has multiple plugs should use separate power cables. In his case the RTX 2070 super can use up to 215w of power, according to the stock specs from GeForce.

the PCI-e slot delivers 75w
6 pin delivers 75w
8 pin delivers 150w

so if you use the 6 + 8 pins that 225w at max or 18.75amps on a single cable. Granted the PCI-e slot will take some of the load and the card doesnt max out the entire cable's watt limit its still a lot to ask for a single cable. Given that he was having artifacting issue that sometimes can point to not having enough power or overheating.