[SOLVED] Any Great Replacement for Adobe Acrobat?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone. I am looking for a free open source replacement for Adobe Acrobat. I know I can read PDFs for free with Adobe Reader or FoxIt reader but I need to be able to read, edit, merge and create PDFs with it. Thanks!

Solution
You can use LibreOffice.
The application from the suite is called Draw.
Another alternative is Inkscape

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You can use LibreOffice.
The application from the suite is called Draw.
Another alternative is Inkscape

Solution

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
@QwerkyPengwen Thanks for the suggestions but what i need is just a tool like Acrobat that lets me modify pages, add pages, add pages edit pdf etc.

@Math Geek Hahaha yeah i have office I need a direct replacement for Acrobat. Be able to create pages and pdf documents. Like merging pdf, adding pages, removing pages.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
@QwerkyPengwen Thanks for the suggestions but what i need is just a tool like acrobat that let me modify pages, add pages, add pages edit pdf.

@Math Geek Hahaha yeah i have office I need a direct replacement for Acrobat. Be able to create pages and pdf documents. Like merging pdf, adding pages, removing pages.
Yes. LibreOffice Draw let's you edit PDF.
Don't know where you seem to get the idea that it doesn't after I just stated that it does lol.

I suggest trying it out. If you end up not liking the way it does things, or if there is a very specific thing you are trying to do that it can't do for you, then your other option is to try and use the free version of PDF Element by Wondershare.
I haven't ever used it myself, but it is recommended as a good alternative, however, that might be for the paid version and not the free version.
All you can really do is try it out and find out.

https://pdf.wondershare.com/pdfelement.html

Reactions: preguntonontrack

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Yes. LibreOffice Draw let's you edit PDF.
Don't know where you seem to get the idea that it doesn't after I just stated that it does lol.

I suggest trying it out. If you end up not liking the way it does things, or if there is a very specific thing you are trying to do that it can't do for you, then your other option is to try and use the free version of PDF Element by Wondershare.
I haven't ever used it myself, but it is recommended as a good alternative, however, that might be for the paid version and not the free version.
All you can really do is try it out and find out.

https://pdf.wondershare.com/pdfelement.html

I think ill try that its pretty strange there is no open software equivalent to Acrobat. Do I have to download Libre Office completely or a specific program ill do it?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so for the fun of it, i opened a 1100 page pdf in word. i was able to edit it any way i wanted to and then resave it as a pdf.

it will merge multiple documents and of course you can delete whatever you feel like. if you already have word installed, i don't see any reason to pay for something else. it works like i thought it would.

Reactions: King_V

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I personally use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. My office mate uses an online freeware called PDF escape. They both have plusses and minus' in that, of course, DC is paid and escape is free.
I have often found that incoming pdf from mobile devices often don't want to play right with DC and HAVE to use escape to manipulate it. DC is awesome for resizing pictures and converting them, great for combining docs, making up reports and such in the FIRST place...but as above sometimes editing docs from various devices is problematic.

huss987

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2014
As an open source viewer, and annotator, I use Okular. Its lightweight, but has a few cool features.

Also, not necessarily an open source option(at least I think), but Xodo PDF Reader/Editor is a really good at editing merging etc.

so for the fun of it, i opened a 1100 page pdf in word. i was able to edit it any way i wanted to and then resave it as a pdf.

it will merge multiple documents and of course you can delete whatever you feel like. if you already have word installed, i don't see any reason to pay for something else. it works like i thought it would.

That's good to know ... I've been using Word for donkeys years and never thought to try it on pdfs. Thanks for mentioning that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
microsoft has the same service as well last few years. office.com has links to the online version of all the office apps except for access if i recall right. not a bad thing for casual users who only need a free to use version of the office apps and don't want to try out the open source alternatives that are out there.