Any help picking a 290?

VOLT Overload

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hey there, I'm a first-time builder in the market for an okay video card. Now, earlier, I was in the market for a GTX 770, but my friend told me to look into an R9 290, "It's a much better card," he told me. Now, the more I look at benchmarks, at reviews, etc. etc., I see that he's not wrong. However, I also see that it's a somewhat more expensive card. While I would be willing to shell out some extra cash for it, the ONLY card that people seem to recommend is the Sapphire Tri-X, and I'm not too sure I'd like to spend an extra $150 over what I'd budgeted... So, I guess what I'm asking is, could anyone here recommend the Asus DCU II card, or Gigabyte's Windforce, or an MSI Twin Frozr... If anyone could just respond with any sort of clarification on the matter, it would be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Cryoburn101

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
The R9 290 is a awesome card. Much better than similarly priced Nvidia cards.
Now, the R9 290 is a card that runs hot, and is designed to handle the extra heat a bit better, so its not surprising that many non-reference designs run hotter than they normally would. The Tri-X is a good design, but in my experience it isn't significantly better than other offerings. The DirectCU II from Asus is well liked by many, the TwinFrozr is award winning, and the Windforce design is also liked. I would definitely recommend Asus and MSI. I wouldn't recommend Gigabyte just because I've had issues recently with them, and a little bias. Its still a good design though. Just pick the one you can afford.

Embra

Distinguished
Actually, the Sapphire Tri-X cools quite well. As true with any card, you would want a case that moves air well.
I sit at 33-34 idle, 61-62 under load.

Sapphire is probably the top maker of AMD, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are fine too.

If you are playing at 1080p, a 280x or 770 will do you quite well if you are worried about price.
The 280x is slightly better price/performance at present pricing.

Need to know your PSU, brand/model.

VOLT Overload

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hey, thank you both for getting back to me so quick after I asked yesterday, and sorry for not giving the same courtesy to you. Cryo, thanks for the friendly tip, and Embra, that's what everyone keeps saying to me... And in terms of PSU, I was originally looking at this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=), an XFX 550W, but now that I'm looking into cards like this one, I was looking at this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-438-017-_-Product), an EVGA 750 W. The XFX is 80+ bronze, EVGA is 80+ gold. And lastly, you were talking about cases with good airflow, I'd heard alright things about this one (http://www.microcenter.com/product/379532/Carbide_Series_300R_Mid-Tower_ATX_Gaming_Computer_Case), the Corsair 300R.

VOLT Overload

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, I could see that case looking pretty, sitting near the monitor... But then, I've gone into a store, taken a look at the 300R, it looks nice in a plain kinda way, ya know? I mean, it's a good case, good airflow, spacious interior, plenty of fan slots, if I were going to spend any more on the case, it would probably just be for a windowed version. I really wouldn't like to spend too much more than that, as it's really what's inside that counts. I just want to keep cost as low as I can, while getting performance as high as I can.