Any hope left to upgrade an E6600 system?

kurochan_24

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014
My brother's pc is a core 2 duo with 2 gb of ddr3 ram and paired with gtx 730.

I'll go straight to the point, is there any hope of upgrading this or will I just waste money? I'm thinking of retaining almost everything and just buy a used core 2 quad and keep the gpu. I'll probably just get an extra stick of ram.

Bro isn't exactly a heavy gamer. Just uses it for the usual browsing and youtube viewing and occasional counter strike and left for dead on the side.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
If you can get a Core2Quad like a q9400 for less than $50 (think a tank of gas, or one meal out at a restaurant for 2), then it would be a cheap easy last gasp upgrade. Anything more than that, it is not worth it.

BTW e-bay has people selling the q9400:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=q9400&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1

Looks like bids there are around $15 for the moment. Looks like Q9650 are getting bids around $30.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
That depends on the motherboard and when it was made. Most LGA775 boards are Legacy only which limits what you can upgrade too.

OEM Board "Dell and HP"
Q6600-Q6700 are mostly where the support stops

Power supply on OEM systems
160W- 250W typically which such a small power supply even a 750 TI is a issue.

So the question is what does your Brother have as a PC? If it's a OEM what is the make and model if it is a prebuilt what are the specs for the motherboard and power supply as well as the size of the case.