[SOLVED] Any hope to recover data from M.2? (WD Black, bought in May)

hobkirk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
My 7 month old M.2 SSD appears to have completely died.
  1. Can I recover the data if the BIOS on two MB's does not see the M.2 drive? Is there any hope?
    1. I only have 2 working MB's that have M.2 slots - both have only one slot.
  2. Should I return it for (I assume free) replacement? (5 year warranty)?
    1. The data is worth more than $90, if there is any hope of retrieving it.
HISTORY - Drive = WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB.
  • I bought this M.2 drive 7 months ago, installed on PC1, set up Win 10/64 up, worked great.
  • 5 months ago, I moved it to new MB (PC2 - hey, Windows is already loaded), worked great.
  • CHANGES: I always look for anything that recently changed, so...
    • Last night I started using a new keyboard (Logitech G710+)
    • I replaced the video card - ASUS GTX 1660 Super Dual Phoenix (ought new 4 months ago). Old card an MSI GTX950.
      • Could not get it to work on either DVR or HDMI. Both screens black.
      • Plugged HDMI cord into MB slot, rebooted, could find no problems in BIOS.
      • NOTE: No changes to cables, SSD's, or any thing else (I think). I laid the PC on its side, removed the power to the GPU, removed it, plugged in the new card (using the extra 2 pins on the power plug for the first time ever). Removed and put back in. Removed and reinstalled the original GTX950, both monitors worked.
      • Tried to get NVIDIA driver, but the GEFORCE Experience utility would not load - "wrong Windows version" (My Windows 10 64 was up-to-date and has never had any problems. I had the identical problem months ago (to see if there were any updates for my GTX950, but I was hoping something might have changed.
      • I got frustrated posting a Q on the TH graphics card forum, went to bed. (I did not realize I needed to change "Question" to "Discussion")
  • This AM I had a "cannot find windows" screen.
    • Rebooted. MB BIOS does not detect it in the NVMe section. PC2.
    • But if I boot, it goes into WIN 7 screen, a relic which I had not bothered removing from a SSD I rarely access.
  • DAMN! Moved the M.2 (plus CPU, fan, RAM, power, connectors for On/Off switch), and the MB BIOS does not detect it. PC1.
    • I connected the SSD w/ Win 7, and then it would boot into Win 7. This made me confident that the p;d MB was still working.
THANK YOU. I am frantic.

Solution
  1. Can I recover the data if the BIOS on two MB's does not see the M.2 drive? Is there any hope?
  • I bought this M.2 drive 7 months ago, installed on PC1, set up Win 10/64 up, worked great.
  • 5 months ago, I moved it to new MB (PC2 - hey, Windows is already loaded), worked great.
    • Last night I...
    • Last night I started using a new keyboard (Logitech G710+)
    • I replaced the video card - ASUS GTX 1660 Super Dual Phoenix (ought new 4 months ago). Old card an MSI GTX950.
      • Could not get it to work on either DVR or HDMI. Both screens black.
      • Plugged HDMI cord into MB slot, rebooted, could find no problems in BIOS.
      • NOTE: No changes to cables, SSD's, or any thing else (I think). I laid the PC on its side, removed the power to the GPU, removed it, plugged in the new card (using the extra 2 pins on the power plug for the first time ever). Removed and put back in. Removed and reinstalled the original GTX950, both monitors worked.
      • Tried to get NVIDIA driver, but the GEFORCE Experience utility would not load - "wrong Windows version" (My Windows 10 64 was up-to-date and has never had any problems. I had the identical problem months ago (to see if there were any updates for my GTX950, but I was hoping something might have changed.
      • I got frustrated posting a Q on the TH graphics card forum, went to bed. (I did not realize I needed to change "Question" to "Discussion")
  • This AM I had a "cannot find windows" screen.
    • Rebooted. MB BIOS does not detect it in the NVMe section. PC2.
    • But if I boot, it goes into WIN 7 screen, a relic which I had not bothered removing from a SSD I rarely access.
  • DAMN! Moved the M.2 (plus CPU, fan, RAM, power, connectors for On/Off switch), and the MB BIOS does not detect it. PC1.
    • I connected the SSD w/ Win 7, and then it would boot into Win 7. This made me confident that the p;d MB was still working.
THANK YOU. I am frantic.
Sounds like you created a whole mess of problems.

First: Not performing a fresh install of Windows after motherboard change.

Second: Having multiple OSes on a single PC.

Third: No backup of important information.

Reactions: USAFRet
Solution