[SOLVED] Any how to's for running cat 7 through finished walls and ceilings?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
We have slow internet and one hardline into the basement. With our first echo dots added over the holidays, we are often getting half an Mbps and can't even watch Netflix even with range extenders and access points and powerline adapters (too many phases apparently to work well). Any helpful resources in running cat 7 in the house through finished walls and ceilings?

Thanks.

My comment is for all low voltage wirings and not specific to CAT7.

Once upon a time, I saw an excellent wiring DIY book at home depot or somewhere but have not seen it again since. Basically it shows you what is behind your plaster walls and ceilings and tells you where to drill and run the cables with tools like fiberglass fishing rods and fishing tapes. So yeah you have to cut into walls and willing to patch them back up when done. Minor carpentry involved like fixing cut moldings. Avoid electrical wirings. Major items: 60% know what's inside your walls, 10% where to run them through, 10% aware of live electrical, 10% cut and repair, 10% where/when to drill into studs/rafters.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
We should be good with 'up to 50Mbps' service then, only I don't think I've ever seen it hit above about 15 and it's usually coming through my powerline adaptors at about half a Mbps. Smart tv on wifi can usually mostly run a movie (not 4k). :(

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Tons of videos on youtube that show various ways to do it. It is well worth the effort to DIY. I would just suggest doing a lot of research, and it may take a few trips into the attic/crawlspace to be familiar with what you're up against. Start with one or two locations that are easy to access, and work from there.

edit: Most of the time that I install cable in my home involves only drilling a small hole in the top plate of the wall and fishing a wire to the outlet location, so there is no repair work of any sort involved. Careful planning is always important.

USAFRet

Titan

Absolutely.

You main problem currently is, having the main WiFi propagation point...in the basement.

But you have the advantage of having an easy access from the basement.
You can run cable directly vertical, into a central space for an Access point and/or wired switch.

USAFRet

Titan

If this is your house, make new holes.
An internal wall in a closet makes a good place to bring it upstairs.

With proper planning, it is mostly invisible.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution