Any i7-7700k owners there?

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Im having trouble with my i7 7700k temps. I have it oc'd at 4.8ghz stock voltage. only test ive tried so far is running cinebench and it didnt crash. and the max it got is around 82c. I know i should do more long term tests/benchmarks. but instead i use pubg as a benchmark instead. I have hwinfo to monitor my temps and in the span of mayb 2hrs gametime. cpu#1 and 3 peaked at 93c thermal throttle. but it seems to stay around 80-85c when im watching it closely.
I just want to ask if this is safe/normal as ive never oc'd any of my systems before.

I have a captain 240ex aio as a cooler. 240mm.

mine isn't delidded and I have a corsair h115i, keeps it cool all the time and I'm clocked at 4.8ghz as i type this. Never really gets passed low 70's, occasionally spikes for a split second but I never have to worry about temps. the temps you are getting are high for the cooler that you have. are you sure fans are on, facing the correct direction and pump is correctly plugged in and working?

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

As far as i know the fans are working perfectly and the pump is plugged in correctly and working fine. And yeah im trying to avoid having to delid it.
right now i have it back on stock till i figure this out. with just normal web browsers going on and discord/spotify in the background. its at 32-34c. mayb spikes to like. 43-45? for like a split second then goes back down.

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Yes i am aware delidding would lower the temps. but for now im trying to avoid that since im not able to + dont really want to pay someone to. I had the voltage on default which was 1.2.

iamacow

Admirable
Once again, the mount of voltage yo are needing to get to 4.8ghz makes a difference. 1.4v is more than say 1.2v. It can make a difference in heat produced.

Edit: I'm surprised you got to 4.8ghz stable with 1.2v. If thats the case, you need to first redo the thermal paste and if that doesn't work, look into a better cooler or delid it.

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah i was pretty surprised too. jus bumbed that the temps are somewhat an issue. Yeah ive remounted the aio incase i did something wrong. redid thermal paste. Same temps still. From my searches it seems that 82c is not bad but its the spike at 93c that i was worried about. it prob spiked for a second but the fact that it did worries me.