Any idea how to find out what happened?

LegendOfRoika

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
9
0
1,510
0
I was working and my computer froze. I noticed a burning smell. When I tried to restart it would power on but there was no display and wouldn’t start to bios. The cpu led was on. I tried resetting cmos but that didn’t work. I looked at my cpu and didn’t see any noticible burn marks. Now I with no spare parts to test with. I don’t really know how to find would what shorted.

Specs
Mobo Asus Sabertooth 990fx
CPU Amd Fx 9570
Psu Antec 700w
Gpu nvidia 1070
 
All you need to do is look at the CPU Support List to see the FX-9570 is not a supported processor. The motherboard does not have capability to handle a 220 Watt TDP CPU.

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the average maximum power a processor can dissipate while running commercially available software. TDP is primarily used as a guideline for manufacturers of thermal solutions (heatsinks/fans, etc) which tells them how much heat their solution should dissipate.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/HelpDesk_CPU/
 
All you need to do is look at the CPU Support List to see the FX-9570 is not a supported processor. The motherboard does not have capability to handle a 220 Watt TDP CPU.

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the average maximum power a processor can dissipate while running commercially available software. TDP is primarily used as a guideline for manufacturers of thermal solutions (heatsinks/fans, etc) which tells them how much heat their solution should dissipate.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX/HelpDesk_CPU/
 

LegendOfRoika

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
9
0
1,510
0
But it was working fine for a few months now. I might have my specs wrong they were from memory. Do you have any trouble shooting tips for when something like this happens. If that is the problem is the fix just a new motherboard?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS