[SOLVED] Any Idea if x570 SATA ports use shared Bandwitch?

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Hi,
I heard somewhere that on board SATA ports have shared bandwitch, meaning if I fill all of them they speed is reduced.
Im in tad of a situation, I need to connect 8 Samsung 850 PRO SSDs which have 520 even 530MB's sequential write speed. [x4 512GB a d x4 1Tb, ill do windows RAID0 for each]
I have 4 on board SATA ports [plus 2 assmedia but they dont count]
And I have a nice PCIe Gen 3.0 x8 2-Port HBA card that supports 8 SATA drives, BUT the only free PCIe slot I have is Gen 3.0 x4 so thats 4GB/s of total bandwidth [x8 x 520MB/s = 4160MB/s]

Kinda logical to connect 4 to mobo and 4 to card, but if its true that on board sata has shared bandwitch like say connected to PCIe x1, then maybe having all of them connected to the card and just losing 160MB/s total is not bad

Solution
[x4 512GB a d x4 1Tb, ill do windows RAID0 for each]
You know...RAID 0 + SSD is not the magical speed boost that people think it is. Or as it was with HDDs.
User facing performance is just about the same as with individual drives.

There are very few use cases where it makes sense.

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
This is a motherboard-specific question, so it's impossible to answer without knowing the specific motherboard. It depends on how the motherboard designer configures the available lanes.

Its AMD x570 Based, MSI x570 Creation, 4 SATA ports native + 2 ASSmedia [I ignore these]

Isnt they all standart, i mean based on Chipset? x570 has SATA from the chipset right?

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
You know...RAID 0 + SSD is not the magical speed boost that people think it is. Or as it was with HDDs.
User facing performance is just about the same as with individual drives.

There are very few use cases where it makes sense.

Please dont Curse or Spit: Its for HDD based.. [ok im saying the word, so get ready] mmmmmm.. mining.
I need sequential speed + size to create Plots, say 110GB plot needs 250GB temp space and uses 1.4TB of SSD health [thats why im using samsung PRO SSD's, these are MLC]
Because of the temp size of the plot and the smaller actual size of the ssd, i cant create 2 plots at once on 512gb SSD, so i need to RAID0 it, 4 of them together and I can create comfortably 5-6 plots and there is enough bandwidth.