Question Any idea on Fan error/ Boots without the fan rotating causing overheat?

Apr 28, 2020
I use a Lenovo Thinkpad T410. Recently I noticed my laptop was hot way more than usual so I decided to restart it. From then it started giving me a Fan error and this wasn't the first time someone faced this problem so I found solutions that I could blow air into the air vents. That didn't help and I noticed that I've been running my laptop without my CMOS plugged in for a long time, so I plugged it in and then the laptop booted. After a few days my laptop started overheating again because the fan stopped rotating ( I opened her up). Now, every time I plug out and plug in my CMOS my laptop boots but the fan doesn't rotate at all.
Could it be possible that the CMOS battery is dead?

Apr 28, 2020
What do you mean....." running my laptop without my CMOS plugged in "?

I think you need to replace the fan.

Few months ago, my battery was all drained out and my laptop won't boot so I found a solution online that if I removed the CMOS battery then it booted up like magic and I've been using it like that ever since.
You think I've to replace the fan?

Well first.....I think booting without the battery was booting to the default settings....and now that you have the battery in...it's still booting to the default settings unless you changed something.

...and yes I would replace the fan because you need a spinning fan...and it's either the fan or the MB....so I'd start with the fan.

Apr 28, 2020
Well first.....I think booting without the battery was booting to the default settings....and now that you have the battery in...it's still booting to the default settings unless you changed something.

...and yes I would replace the fan because you need a spinning fan...and it's either the fan or the MB....so I'd start with the fan.
Ok thanks, I'll get a fan and try that