Any idea what might be causing daily disconnects on all devices connected to ethernet jacks?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
My home is wired for gigabit Ethernet, but it was before I moved here. I experience disconnects multiple times a day on all devices. All the wiring is in the wall so I can't access it, and the Ethernet cables from there extend out of the wall a little to be plugged into a gigabit Switch. I've tried multiple switches, so they're not the issue. I've also had Comcast come out multiple times and there's nothing wrong with our newer modem that's plugged into an Ethernet wall outlet downstairs (the switch where all the cables are that go to various ethernet outlets throughout the house is upstairs). They also recently replaced an old tap device outside, and that didn't fix anything. Do you think something could be wrong with the Ethernet cables in the wall? Not sure who to contact next to fix it having no technical expertise. All i know is that every device in the house is experiencing the disconnects.

Solution

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

It would be helpful to know a little bit more about the nature of the problem in order to narrow down the cause:
Do all devices experience the disconnect at the same time?
Do you have to do anything to fix the problem, or do devices recover on their own?
Is there a specific error message that you see when the problem occurs?
Do wireless devices maintain connectivity?
Did Comcast test the individual cables to each device?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

All devices are experiencing the disconnect at the same time. The devices recover on their own. I don't see any error messages, but on my android phone it'll say Wi-Fi disconnected and my computer it'll just show that my network is unavailable in the bottom right corner. A lot of times, my connection comes back seconds after disconnecting, but it'll sometimes bring me out of games I'm playing. On other occasions, the Internet will be disconnected for minutes, but usually less than an hour. I don't think Comcast tested the individual cables to each device. They used some device to monitor if we were getting signal and replaced the tap outside, though. I think they examined the modem in person, and they did for sure online.

In case you need to know this, the modem is the Cisco DPC3941T comcast provided.

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

It's a combo unit. I just found the name, it's: Cisco DPC3941T. Renting it from Comcast.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

The loss of wifi on your phone along with disconnections to your wired devices is a good indication that the problem is with the Cisco. Has Comcast not replaced it on any of their visits? That really should have been done with the symptoms you are experiencing with your network. If it wasn't replaced, you should request that they provide you with a replacement. This should be a minimum first step in isolating and solving the problem.

Solution

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

They haven't ever replaced it since it was installed (a couple years ago, maybe?) Online they always claim the modem is fine and I think the technician checked it briefly when he was here about a month ago, but he didn't spend a lot of time with the modem. I'm going to see if I can convince them to replace it. Thanks for the advice!

TRENDING THREADS