[SOLVED] any idea what my bottleneck is here?

Sep 22, 2020
on my base settings my CPU the 2950x was getting only about a 67% on benchmark my pc.
also my ram is saying its running 6 of 8 cards 2166hz clocked at 1067hz. there should be 8 cards and they are rated 3600mhz

everytime i do an xmp profile for the ram my computer black screens upon restart from bios, I was able to overclock it to about 4.2ghz and finally achienve a score of 77.1% shown below on cpu, but isnt that a low score for being overclocked and 67% feels low when its not overclocked.

here are the results i used.

UserBenchmarks: Game 103%, Desk 85%, Work 136%

850w power supply
CPU: AMD Ryzen TR 2950X - 77.1%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 - 131%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 309.6%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 232.4%
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB - 335%
HDD: WD Re 4TB (2012) - 55.5%
RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M4C3600C18 6x8GB - 75.4%
MBD: MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B09)

Solution
Just to be clear, you're suggesting that purchasing ram at the 3000 mark will produce a better result than what im using right now? i've been noticing my cpu spiking up to 100% recently so i thought it might have a problem, thats when i benchamrked it and saw it scored a 67%

I'm not suggesting you buy new ram - I am suggesting you try running your 3600 mhz kit at 3000 mhz (the rated speed of a ram kit is essentially a 'maximum' - no issue to run it lower than that). Ryzen cpu's are fussy with memory settings, so you will probably need to try a few different settings in the bios - the aim is to get the ram running as fast as possible whilst the machine is still stable (I would suggest once you get a setting that boots try a few...
The 'bottleneck' is Userbench... after AMD released Ryzen (which beat all Intel's CPU's score thanks to offering twice the core count) they decided to 'adjust' the scoring and increase the weighting of single and 4 thread over multi core (which is now only worth 10% of the total mark) allowing Intel cpu's to be rated above AMD again....

Threadripper is a multi thread monster - test it's performance with some multi-threaded tests and you will get good results (e.g. Cinebench, V-Ray, Handbreak and so on). Passmark is also a better comparison as they split their single and multi-thread scores.

Ram is a separate issue, you probably aren't going to be able to get 3600 mhz ram running at that speed on a 2950X as that is Zen + core - those top out at ~ 3200 mhz memory maximum (probably 2933 - 3000 is more realistic). Try the ram at some different settings and find the max stable speed. It probably won't make a huge difference to work software performance but faster ram will help in game tests.

Sep 22, 2020
The 'bottleneck' is Userbench... after AMD released Ryzen (which beat all Intel's CPU's score thanks to offering twice the core count) they decided to 'adjust' the scoring and increase the weighting of single and 4 thread over multi core (which is now only worth 10% of the total mark) allowing Intel cpu's to be rated above AMD again....

Threadripper is a multi thread monster - test it's performance with some multi-threaded tests and you will get good results (e.g. Cinebench, V-Ray, Handbreak and so on). Passmark is also a better comparison as they split their single and multi-thread scores.

Ram is a separate issue, you probably aren't going to be able to get 3600 mhz ram running at that speed on a 2950X as that is Zen + core - those top out at ~ 3200 mhz memory maximum (probably 2933 - 3000 is more realistic). Try the ram at some different settings and find the max stable speed. It probably won't make a huge difference to work software performance but faster ram will help in game tests.

Just to be clear, you're suggesting that purchasing ram at the 3000 mark will produce a better result than what im using right now? i've been noticing my cpu spiking up to 100% recently so i thought it might have a problem, thats when i benchamrked it and saw it scored a 67%

I'm not suggesting you buy new ram - I am suggesting you try running your 3600 mhz kit at 3000 mhz (the rated speed of a ram kit is essentially a 'maximum' - no issue to run it lower than that). Ryzen cpu's are fussy with memory settings, so you will probably need to try a few different settings in the bios - the aim is to get the ram running as fast as possible whilst the machine is still stable (I would suggest once you get a setting that boots try a few benchmarks to double check it is stable). As you have a Zen+ based cpu, you are looking at 2933 mhz - 3200 mhz range for max stable ram speed.

That probably explains why the score is lower than other 2950X cpu's - the issue with Userbenchmark though is that the way it calculates results suggests a cpu like an i5 7600K is faster than a 2950X (which is nonsense) due to it weighting scores so heavily in favour of single thread. Improving memory speed will help with this type of result specifically, although may not change overall performance much, depending on what you use the machine for.

To get a better idea of how your machine is running try a difference benchmark - e.g. Cinebench as that is a test that scales properly on Threadripper cpu's, and represents the type of workloads this sort of CPU is typically used for (what do you use the machine for out of interest?).

Solution