[SOLVED] Any idea what would cause this screen flicker?

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Sometimes, including currently, as I have a browser or other program on the screen every few seconds it looks like I hit refresh - the screen gets that sort of very fast black flash like it just redrew. Any idea what would cause that? It's not on an exact schedule - it might wait 3 or 4 seconds, then do it twice quickly, it's more sporadic.

Solution
Overall a 3 year old PSU used for heavy gaming is prime suspect:

You have a number of troubleshooting options:

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the restarts. Increasing numbers of errors and/or varying errors are symptomatic of a failing/faltering PSU. The PSU may simply no longer be able to meet current peak power demands under some conditions.

Reduce the number of programs running in the background. (Side note: I am curious about why an uninstaller is being continually left open? Not a criticism - just a question.)

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance and determine all that is actually running. Use both tools but only...

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
@Craig234

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

What games are you playing?

Homebuilt, Intel, RX 570, 16gb, Corsair HX750i guessing 3 years old, Windows 10 64, SSD and 6TD HD both with a good amount of free space with nearly 200GB and over 2TB free respectively.

Things open include an uninstaller, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Spellweaver, Steam, Elder Scrolls Online launcher, GOG Galaxy, epic games, Orign, twitch, World of Tanks, Edge Browser.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Sometimes, including currently, as I have a browser or other program on the screen every few seconds it looks like I hit refresh - the screen gets that sort of very fast black flash like it just redrew. Any idea what would cause that? It's not on an exact schedule - it might wait 3 or 4 seconds, then do it twice quickly, it's more sporadic.

when the screen flickers, does it seem like the monitor is turning off? Or can you see backlight when the flickering happens?

How is your monitor connected? Hdmi, DisplayPort etc? Also yes including your system specs would help further please and thank you 😊

Ralston18

Titan
Overall a 3 year old PSU used for heavy gaming is prime suspect:

You have a number of troubleshooting options:

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the restarts. Increasing numbers of errors and/or varying errors are symptomatic of a failing/faltering PSU. The PSU may simply no longer be able to meet current peak power demands under some conditions.

Reduce the number of programs running in the background. (Side note: I am curious about why an uninstaller is being continually left open? Not a criticism - just a question.)

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance and determine all that is actually running. Use both tools but only one at a time. Do not randomly start disabling apps, etc.. Focus on what is running and why it is running. Good chance that overtime more programs are being launched at startup than you realize. Process Explorer and Task Scheduler are likely to prove helpful.

Lastly hardware:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all connections, card, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

If the problems continue then the next step is to test the PSU. You will need a multi-meter and know how to use it. Or have a family member or friend who does.

Recommended reading:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Solution