[SOLVED] Any idea what's the problem with this hard drive? [Video attached]

Jul 26, 2020

For the sake of learning, I'm very curious to know what's the actual issue with this drive and/or if it can be fixed.
I already opened it, knowing it can get unusable because I don't care about the data and I just want to learn. I'm already looking to buy a replacement disk.

So if someone knows just by looking at the video what could be the issue I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

Solution
That's true, most people will be interested in data recovery when the hard drive goes bad.
With these hard-drives for really old devices, I would be cool to be able to get it back to working condition as they don't manufacture them anymore hehe.

Thanks for your answer :)
Furthering the discussion, "data recovery" is never guaranteed.
Physical drive fail is only one of the modes of losing your stuff.

Ransomware, for instance. The drive is fine, your data is toast.
This is specifically what backups are for.

But, in the instance of a vintage device like this...there are 1.8" drives available.
Or even procedures to replace it with something solid state.

Ralston18

Titan
What was the original reason for opening the drive: noise, some error message, some particular problem ....?

Was the drive installed in a computer or being used as a portable/external drive?

Also it appears that the is for an Apple system based on the USB plug logo - is that correct?

(Not an issue per se, but details matter.)

Overall, the current behavior is likely a result of just simply opening the drive up.

Tolerances are very tight and it is very easy to cause damage. Even a speck of dust or small hair on the platter(s) is like a big rock.

Probably unfixable and even if so the drive is no longer to be trusted.

If you do not keep the drive, at least salvage the magnet (very powerful) and recycle the rest. Platters make nice little mirrors despite the hole in the middle.

Jul 26, 2020
What was the original reason for opening the drive: noise, some error message, some particular problem ....?

Was the drive installed in a computer or being used as a portable/external drive?

Also it appears that the is for an Apple system based on the USB plug logo - is that correct?

(Not an issue per se, but details matter.)

Overall, the current behavior is likely a result of just simply opening the drive up.

Tolerances are very tight and it is very easy to cause damage. Even a speck of dust or small hair on the platter(s) is like a big rock.

Probably unfixable and even if so the drive is no longer to be trusted.

If you do not keep the drive, at least salvage the magnet (very powerful) and recycle the rest. Platters make nice little mirrors despite the hole in the middle.

Thanks for your reply Ralston18 :)

Sorry, I should have given more context 😅
As you said, this hard drive, specifically is a 10GB 1.8inch Toshiba MK1003GAL, is being used on an Apple device: 2nd gen iPod

Screenshot-2020-07-26-at-14-42-34.png

The iPod is showing that the hard-drive is not good. And after hearing that "strange" noise and doing a bit of research I thought it could be an issue with a stuck arm. But when I opened I saw that the arm was on the idle position, it didn't seem stuck at all.

I also read that some hard drives fail when the head is not able to read the boot sector and that it keeps trying several times until it gives up. And for what I could see with this drive is doing something like that? Sorry if I'm totally wrong, I don't know much about hard-drives. That's the reason why I opened the post, so I could learn something new :D

Thank you again.

Ralston18

Titan
No problem with learning.

And taking things apart to do so is perfectly fine - especially if the device is expendable.

I often give younger family members the opportunity to "explore" and take something apart.

(Always fun to tell them afterwards that they need to put it back together again.... )

Me: :D Them: o_O:eek:

Generally, later on, I find little bits and pieces that they liberated and carried around to use as "treasure" or something.

What you will find the most useful is some background information about hard drives.

Google words such as "how does a hard drive work?" Look for images, text, white papers, etc..

Delve as deep as you wish, change the search criteria as you learn. It can get really technical.

Have fun.

Reactions: jvlobo

USAFRet

Titan
Its a near 20 year old drive, in a mobile device that has had more than its fair share of knocks, drops, kicks, shakes...

Sometimes this is fixable by replacing the PCB. Components on the board can age and dry out.
No longer supplying the correct values to whatever they are supposed to be doing.

Beyond that, a spinning drive is not really user fixable. Especially internally.

Jul 26, 2020
Its a near 20 year old drive, in a mobile device that has had more than its fair share of knocks, drops, kicks, shakes...

Sometimes this is fixable by replacing the PCB. Components on the board can age and dry out.
No longer supplying the correct values to whatever they are supposed to be doing.

Beyond that, a spinning drive is not really user fixable. Especially internally.

Interesting..., thanks for the information :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Interesting..., thanks for the information :)

Even labs with high-end equipment are never focused on getting the hard drives working again in order to recover data, they're just trying to salvage it with donor parts long enough to recover the data.

Hard drives are like drinking glasses. When you drop a glass on the kitchen floor and it breaks into 50 pieces, you don't glue the pieces back together and use it, you clean up the mess and dispose of the pieces. Except for very specific problems, like a PCB issue or a software issue, it's a data recovery problem, not a repair problem.

Jul 26, 2020
Even labs with high-end equipment are never focused on getting the hard drives working again in order to recover data, they're just trying to salvage it with donor parts long enough to recover the data.

Hard drives are like drinking glasses. When you drop a glass on the kitchen floor and it breaks into 50 pieces, you don't glue the pieces back together and use it, you clean up the mess and dispose of the pieces. Except for very specific problems, like a PCB issue or a software issue, it's a data recovery problem, not a repair problem.

That's true, most people will be interested in data recovery when the hard drive goes bad.
With these hard-drives for really old devices, I would be cool to be able to get it back to working condition as they don't manufacture them anymore hehe.

USAFRet

Titan

But, in the instance of a vintage device like this...there are 1.8" drives available.
Or even procedures to replace it with something solid state.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Honestly, you can still get an old working IDE hard drive cheaply. It would be interesting if this were some rare storage, but people who need to protect important data have long since moved that data to newer storage mediums and there are a lot more of these old hard drives floating around than people in search of one because of a need to use 20-year-old equipment.

Jul 26, 2020

Or even procedures to replace it with something solid-state.

This iPod doesn't handle SSD drives well, you can put one but then you won't be able to transfer data into it due to a limitation with its Fireware interface :/

Appreciate the help :)
Sadly that is not the same hard drive, this one is a 1.8inch 50pin 10GB one
I was able to find a 20GB 50pin one tho. If I don't find a 10GB one I may get that one.

Honestly, you can still get an old working IDE hard drive cheaply. It would be interesting if this were some rare storage, but people who need to protect important data have long since moved that data to newer storage mediums and there are a lot more of these old hard drives floating around than people in search of one because of a need to use 20-year-old equipment.

For the research I've done there are not a ton of options available. I could only find some replacement ones in eBay USA and I live in Europe so shipping costs are not super cheap hehe

This highly elevates the odds of success at the drive only being useful as a doorstop forthwith. :)

I reckon it'll make for a cool doorstop xD

Last edited: