Any ideas as to why my system re-boots?

The_Emperor_69

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Hey guys! I just built a new rig, but I am having problems with stability. Anyone know about advanced bios settings (like PCIe voltage/frequency etc)? System specs are below. My system reboots a few minutes after putting a load on it like game/bench test.

CPU---- Intel 955 3.46 Extreme Edition Dual Core
RAM---- 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2 675 (4 512 dimm)
MB---- Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe
Vid---- Two XFX 7900 GTX Extreme Ed 512 run SLI
Sound---- On-Board AC'97 (Sucks that my new Xi-fi wont fit)
HD---- Two WD Raptor 74Gb 10,000 RPM run Raid 0
1 WD Caviar 250GB SATA for storage

I got through bench tests with only one Vid card and scored well (23,500 on 3DMark03 and 7450 on 3DMark06), but the FPS with SLI enabled are WAY better.......only it wont get to the end without re-booting. I have everything set in the Bios to recommended settings, but I would love to know if these Vid cards need more voltage than the standard 1.5V and different frequency than the regular 100.000mHZ. When windows restarts, the error message either says hardware fialure of one kind or another or a video card driver error. I have the latest Drivers for all components and the latest bios version. When I first built the machine, I needed to install Windows with a different CPU, updated the bios, and then installed this one (it wouldn't recognize without the new bios). Also when built it had an ATI X850XT, and now obviously running Nvidia. Would it make a difference to re-install windows? That is my plan tonight if nobody has a better idea. ThX!

me1234

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
maybe the psu is too small, what psu do u have?
and why do u have 4sticks of ram and not just 2 1gb ones

The_Emperor_69

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I have an Ultra X2 550Watt with dedicated PCIe plugs right out of the unit. Should be more than enough. I got the RAM on a one day deal that saved me a few bucks vs the 2 1GB mods.

Out of curiousity what is the combined amps on the 12v rails? For a typical 550w PSU I'm guessing it should between 36 - 42 amps.

I'm guessing that when you are benchmarking both your GPUs, your entire system should be drawing about 370w off the 12v rails.

The_Emperor_69

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
No, no heat issues. I run Asus probe & Ai Boost to monitor everything & have a rediculous Thermaltake cooling tower. CPU runs at 92 degrees and MB is in the 80s. Vid cards are at 125-135, but nothing bad (all Ferenheit not Celsius). I also have a Thermaltake Kandolf case with 3 120mm fans & 2 92mm fams (frickin wind tunnel.....lol).

The_Emperor_69

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Out of curiousity what is the combined amps on the 12v rails? For a typical 550w PSU I'm guessing it should between 36 - 42 amps.

I'm guessing that when you are benchmarking both your GPUs, your entire system should be drawing about 370w off the 12v rails.

I am not sure about the 12v rails, but I know it has independant 6 pin dedicated PCIe cables right out of the supply that supposedly are on their own "rail". The more I think & read about it, I believe that either the voltage on the RAM is not set to the 1.9V it needs to run on this setup, or that windows was installed with an 800mhz FSB and now my CPU is 1066 which is causing conflict on my RAID array. Should this really have anything to do with the stability of the system? Windows shouldn't care should it?

Well, as I stated in an earlier post, I really think your PC is overheating so run your benchmarks with the case opened.

The reason while I asked about the 12v rails is because just about every single component draws power frim these rails. It is possible that you are over taxing your PSU. The only way to tell is to read the sticker on the PSU. You may need to remove your PSU in order to see the sticker. Your PSU should have 2 12v rails listed as 12v1 and 12v2. Some PSUs have 4 12v rails. The sticker will say how amps each 12v rail will have. But before doing this just run the benchmarks with the case openned.

If your system still reboot after benching with the case openned, then try decreasing the clock speed of both of your X7900GTXs, they may be clocked too high.

Since you are setting your RAM voltage to 1.9v I assume you are overclocking your CPU. The Pentium 4 D already produces a lot of heat, and overclocking it will cause it to produce even more heat. This is why I think you have an overheat issue with your setup.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
What does CPU-z show your processor as?

Something is confused somewhere. With the installation process.
Did you use driver cleaner when you install the 7900gtx?

Does it run smoothly with only one 7900??

Yes his power supply has dual 12v rails.

The_Emperor_69

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
No, runs just as unstable with one as two vid cards which leads me to believe that it is RAM related. I'm leaving work now & will have more info here shortly........hopefully good news!