Any ideas for my next upgrade?

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I know these threads are kinda everywhere but I looked through a few dozen of them of various ages and didn't see one that fits my specifics situation.

I've been building and upgrading my PC for the last 10 years or so both to keep up with my ever increasing Gaming and Photography needs and as a hobby as well. Currently here is where my setup stands.

Peripherals:

Triple monitor setup:
2 Generic Asus 1080(60hz)
and a 1440p(144hz) IPS asus mg279q in the Center as my main gaming and photo editing display. Keyboard G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780 Keyboard (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse A Logitech g502 Mouse.
mouse Hyper X Cloud 2's

As far as the tower goes

Case: Fractal Design Define S (no window) As far as cases are Concerned I don't have a good spot in my room or near my desk to display a side window or anything so case aesthetics don't matter to me nearly as much as case functionality.

MoBo Asus 7170-A

CPU Intel Core i7 6700K

Cooler Cryorig H5 Ultimate (Dual Fan)

GPU MSI Duke GTX 1080TI

Ram 32GBs of Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz DDR4

PSU SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Semi Modular

Storage:

Programs 1TB 860 EVO M.2
OS 500GB 850 EVO
Mass Storage 2 3TB WD Blues and 1 1TB WD Green

Thats pretty much everything I believe. I'm not necessarily looking for an upgrade right this minute but more of an upgrade to be saving up for next. Been thinking about going with a new i7 and board and maybe getting in on that Intel Optane boosted storage, the 2080's look interesting as well but probably still to expensive for the small boost over my 1080Ti. A better form of cooling has been something I've thought about, but i'm not sure if a prebuilt cooling loop would have much gain in performance over the Cryorig i've got. All just thoughts i've had.

I'd love to hear what you guys think, I totally understand that any upgrades I may pursue at this point are well within the diminishing returns range and I'm not going to get a whole heck of a lot out of anything that I might do but like I said its a bit of a hobby I like to try and keep up with when i've got a few extra dollars here and there.

Well gee guy, you're peeking. plateauing. You've hit your limit. What more do you want?

Only thing left to do is enjoy your rig to the max.

I suppose we can see what RTX is all about when the new games come out. RTX 2080 was on par with the 1080 Ti in the gameplay benchmark I saw across multiple games. RTX 2080 Ti would be the only option I would consider.

*I'll be honest, I was wanting to get a new 9th-gen i7 myself. I know I don't need it though. Eh, I guess we'll see. Only if my old i7 can be of use to someone close to me.

randomsteve95370

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah I understand that. I tend to kind of jump in and out of keeping up with the tech world so I wasn't sure if there was any new techs or products to keep an eye on. I've heard things about the Intel Optane storage stuff but my current MoBo/CPU Gen Doesn't support it so I would be curious to know if people think its something worth spec'ing towards or if its just a temp fad. Same thing with the Current Gen i7/i9's Id be mean buying a new MoBo plus the CPU but maybe getting access to that is worth it, or maybe something bigger/better is just around the corner. Also have thought about my cooler, are there better Air coolers out there? Should I swap to water cooling? I don't know, like I said kinda a hobby, I enjoy turning a screwdriver inside my rig every now and then and it feels like its been a while since I've had a reason to.

TRENDING THREADS