Question Any ideas? RAM issue.

Sep 16, 2019
Hi guys any help here? ok, i've just upped my Windows 7 (32) to Windows Ultimate (64) on my ASRock N68C-S UCC motherboard, and i'm trying to upgrade to 8GB RAM.
i've updated my BIOS but it wont read the extra RAM (it didn't before either) i.e 2 x 4 gb DDR3 10600.
One of them works but the other doesn't (i've tried swapping them and both work, but only on the first slot) the other slot just doesn't recognise..i've been through memcheck etc, but it just isn't recognised in BIOS.
My original BIOS was AmericanMegatrends Inc p1.00.
I went to ASROCk's website and D/Ld N68CSU1.60 (which works, but still doesn't reconise the extra slot?)
Any ideas? TIA:unsure:
P.s i realise it's a rock old computer, but it does it's job :crazy:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
This mobo is born to only accepts 8Gb in total as installed ram.
Either as DDR2 or DDR3 using the appropriate sockets.

Any BIOS upgrade wont help you on ram capacity issues as this is how the board is designed and layed out.
The BIOS upgrades contains upgrades to CPU types only.

Check the memory QVL for compatibility with your ram, as this may be your issue :
https://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/N68C-S UCC.pdf

Sep 16, 2019
You refer to adding extra memory as an upgrade, however memory manufacturers won't guarantee such combinations to be compatible together.

You can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.
I mentioned the fact that i went from 32bit to 64 bit (as in the term of upgrade) but anyway, the memory modules are identical.The reason i went 64 bit was because 32 only recognises upto 4gb (this is an old motherboard as well)
kaehligj
Yeah, i'm aware of the limitations and that it will only support 8gb, but if the BIOS doesn't recognise it, then windows wont either. This is my problem, the only thing i can think of is that the slot itself is faulty (unfortunately i cant just stick one module into that slot solo as it needs the precursor module to function) so i'm at a loose end. I'm still sure it's a BIOS issue, unless anybody else can chip in their own knowledge..P.s thanks for the replies so far.

Sep 16, 2019
Basically My comp is running on 4gb ram (and i'm sat on another 2 4gb modules, one being Crucial) the 2 i bought are identical as i knew i'd come up with problems otherwise, but hey did anyway..bloody hell :rolleyes:

kaehligj
My mistake, i bought 2 x 4gb DDR3 1333Mhz DIMM
(Product : 2-Power)...surely these should work no?
Here's their website..I've never heard of them...
https://2-power.com/

Last edited:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I cant delve into such details as then you would be about the only Op I can serve.
Its your own responsibility to ensure the parts you have are compatible with manufacturers specification.
There is no such thing as "but I thought ... "
The manufacturers QVL is the holy bible to avoid hardware problems.
And thats true for old generation PC's too.

I fought with a ram problem for month on my old AMD AM2 socket motherboard after ram upgrade.
I finally got the idea to check the QVL - and there it was, or rather : is was NOT

Sep 16, 2019
I cant delve into such details as then you would be about the only Op I can serve.
Its your own responsibility to ensure the parts you have are compatible with manufacturers specification.
And thats true for old generation PC's too.

I fought with a ram problem for month on my old AMD AM2 socket motherboard after ram upgrade.
I finally got the idea to check the QVL - and there it was, or rather : is was NOT
My apologies, you may well say i'm a 'n00b' when it come to such matters, i was merely reaching out for a bit of help. There was no need to be condescending.
I knew nought of QVL, thanks for pointing it out i appreciate it for future reference...My question is though, my RAM (2-Power) is not listed on said 'holy bible' yet one module seems to work?

Last edited:

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
... ...My question is though, my RAM (2-Power) is not listed on said 'holy bible' yet one module seems to work?

It may work. Adding another module that may work, could cause the house of cards you have build up to crumble.

I know its hard to comprehend, especially after years with one module working.
It was exactly my story too, and caused me much grief.

Looking at all the youngsters here on forum building their gamer PC's with costly components, and not checking the QVL, and then running into trouble, is frustrating to read. Even more frustrating to try make them understand whats going on.

Its like the QVL is some license agreement you never read anyway.
But it is a serious matter, exactly to help you avoiding hardware problems.

Reactions: lynx1021
Reactions: seedaripper1973
Sep 16, 2019
That board probably requires low density DDR3, very little made now. The modules usually have chips on both sides and are called Rank2X8. Crucial still makes some here https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/n68c-s-ucc/CT7337065 Also these are supposed to work https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231635 or what I have in mine a discontinued set from crucial that you can find on eBay BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00.
Hi, thanks for the heads up, the trouble is i've already bought them now....both are identical Power-2
DDR3 1333Mhz modules (it's ironic you mention Crucial as i have an old 4gig of theirs that was originally in the machine)both are working as i've tried swapping them over. BIOS doesn't recognise one though (neither does windows) and yes i've updated BIOS etc...These modules have chips on both sides as well (but can't be reversed as the central bridge is not fully central) any ideas at all (my computer is running like a lame dogs hind quarters at the moment because i upped to 64bit windows)

Never heard of "Power-2 DDR3 1333Mhz modules" no work around, you have to use ram made to work in your motherboard.
You need to test one at a time overnight,One could be bad and it supposed to have a lifetime warranty.
You said you did a "memcheck" The only memory test that I trust is Memtest86,
Create a bootable CD-ROM, or option to run it as a bootable USB
Memtest 86 http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm
You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO " for the CD
Guide to using Memtest86+
https://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-RAM-with-MemTest86
Ugg, can't check your QVL, I am at work and my servers think the Asrock site is malware, LOL.

Reactions: seedaripper1973
Sep 16, 2019
Never heard of "Power-2 DDR3 1333Mhz modules" no work around, you have to use ram made to work in your motherboard.
You need to test one at a time overnight,One could be bad and it supposed to have a lifetime warranty.
You said you did a "memcheck" The only memory test that I trust is Memtest86,
Thanks for the heads up on memtest86, i DLd it and ran both modules in the first slot of the motherboard..here's the results..

One runs a bit faster, here are some pics of the motherboard and the options given via memtest86 (i just ran default)

Here's the stick(s) both are IDENTICAL.

Some pics of the Motherboard.

And the final result...

I.e no go? the computer just will not recognise the 2nd module (even in BIOS- which has been updated to the latest version for this board) Is there a program that anybody knows of in order to test the motherboard? (cpuz_x64 doesn't recognise the second module either if that's what anybody is thinking)
Any help would be massively appreciated as i've spent hours/days trying to sort it out? there's no logical reason (other than the second slot is buggered) hence me wanting to know if there's someway of testing the motherboard.
Cheers.

Sep 16, 2019
You could contact Power-2 and tell them their modules don't work in your motherboard. Did you give them your motherboard model number when you ordered? They are supposed to have a life-time warranty.
I bought them from CEX (online) mate, i assumed they would work...how wrong was i ! Do you think it could be a power issue? i.e they haven't been calibrated (when i got the system there was only one module)

Last edited: