Question Any improvements in speed for future SATA SSDs?

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Looking at external enclosures for my SSDs & hard drives. Looks obvious that USB 3.0 will be close to SATA III speeds so no USB 3.1 Gen2/type C 10 Gbps devices would be any faster. I understand how 'overhead' slows speeds below stated 6 Gbps transfer speeds.

Just want to check that they aren't working on protocol improvements, etc. for SATA that someday would be faster for SATA, as we know it. Figure we'll all move on to newer connectors and storage but wonder how I'd utilize a USB 3.1 Gen 2x2 enclosure or dock since I don't use M.2 or NVMe.

Thanks,

Mac

Looking at external enclosures for my SSDs & hard drives. Looks obvious that USB 3.0 will be close to SATA III speeds so no USB 3.1 Gen2/type C 10 Gbps devices would be any faster. I understand how 'overhead' slows speeds below stated 6 Gbps transfer speeds.

Just want to check that they aren't working on protocol improvements, etc. for SATA that someday would be faster for SATA, as we know it. Figure we'll all move on to newer connectors and storage but wonder how I'd utilize a USB 3.1 Gen 2x2 enclosure or dock since I don't use M.2 or NVMe.

Thanks,

Mac
I think you will find that sata is a dead end.

The focus now seems to be pcie......3/4/5/6 etc.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
With all drive types, SATA, NVMe, both internal and external...we are rapidly getting into diminishing returns.

The main benefit of solid state drives is the near zero access time. This is all SSDs.

In many cases, supposed experts can't tell the difference.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA
Was aware of the 'can't tell the difference' re: gaming, yeah. And don't do enough editing to justify NVMe. Just curious if I'd missed any possible developments, however exotic.

TY everyone