Any improvements on this quiet gaming build?

dwstern

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
Hi folks,

I'm about to build a new gaming PC, and would like to ask for opinions on the following build info. This will be the first PC I've built in 5 years and my fourth build ever. So, while I'm not a total newbie, I'm out of practice and definitely not an expert.

I'd like a gaming PC first, for playing Elite Dangerous, Falcon BMS 4.33, Star Citizen, Mass Effect Andromeda and other games generally over the next 2-3 years. I have a good business laptop for general web browsing/office stuff. Having looked at liquid cooling quite carefully over the past week or two, I'm inclined to just go with a quiet air-cooled design. I can and will overclock a little, but not massively since low noise (and perhaps low heat output) is much more important to me than squeezing every last frame per second out of some game.

I only need to buy the main system - I already have, or will get, all the other peripherals (Samsung CF791 monitor capable of 3440x1440@100Hz but no G-Sync, keyboard mouse etc) separately.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week

Budget Range: GBP £2,250-2,500 Before Rebates; Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No - already bought Samsung CF791

Parts to Upgrade: Main system - new case, and new everything which goes in it

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - intend Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (so I can join it to my home domain)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Aria PC, Amazon.co.uk, Ebuyer.co.uk - don't worry too much about finding me the best price, I'm more concerned with identifying the right parts for now.

Parts Preferences: No strong preference, but Intel CPUs, Asus Mobos. Happy to consider alternatives.

Overclocking: Yes, but assume I'm a.) not very skilled at it, b.) not willing to spend more than 5 hours actively working on it (not including long stress tests when I can be afk) c.) more concerned with keeping my PC quiet and cool than optimising its performance

SLI or Crossfire: No. At least, not for now.

Your Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440 capable of 100Hz

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC. Completely uninterested in case windows, bling, making my PC look like I'm 19 and wear a baseball cap the wrong way round. Black and understated/businesslike is perfectly fine. Software: Elite Dangerous, Falcon BMS 4.33, Star Citizen, Mass Effect Andromeda and other games generally over the next 2-3 years. I haven't decided what other games I want to play.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current (gaming) PC is ancient, and while it was once quiet and cool, is now noisy and hot. Plus, my kids are getting to the point where I get my evenings back and can actually spend the time to game, rather than just collapse on the sofa exhausted. I have wanted a decent gaming PC for years, and can finally justify it!

Parts I have already selected
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 Black Rev.B
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX Motherboard
Processor: 4.2GHz Intel 7th Gen Core i7 7700K 91W HD 630 8MB Quad Core CPU
Memory: 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz Memory Kit
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen Max High Performance Quiet CPU Cooler, SCMGD-1000
Graphics card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix 11GB Graphics Card
Power supply: FSP Hydro G 750W Semi-Fanless Modular PSU, 80+ Gold
M.2 drive: 500GB 960 EVO Polaris M.2 NVMe SSD (3200/1800)
Bluetooth adapter: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Dual-Band Wireless-AC1200 Bluetooth 4.0 PCI-E Adapter
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM

PCPartPicker link: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dwstern/saved/2w3nQ7 (doesn't include a price for the OS, or the bluetooth adapter, hence slightly lower price)

My main questions:
1. Have I forgotten something?
2. Have I picked a combination of parts that won't work? (I believe that CPU cooler fits in the case, and the PSU is powerful enough, and I believe everything is compatible, but I'm out of practice at this!)
3. Are any of the components I've selected above obviously over/under-specified when compared to the rest of the build?
4. Should I look at faster memory than 2400MHz?
5. Can you see a way to make it quieter (without going bananas on custom liquid cooling, which I'm not prepared to invest the time in)?
6. I can get all the parts above for about GBP £1,765 or so, so there is actually about £500 headroom in my budget. What would you spend it on improving/adding, and why?

Many thanks in anticipation!

David

Cedsid

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
hi , first nice build maybe a bit over kill but if u wanne use it for 2-3 years it will last even longer. but is would change a few thing like the cpu cooler to a noctua nh-d14 because it's one of the best coolers for overclocking that there is that makes almost no noise and dont worry thay have black fans for the looks . the psu i would change to because the fan of this one wil always be on whene in load so maybe change it to a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 it's around the same price point .
i hope i help and enjoy your new pc

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£305.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£75.95 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£190.06 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£225.60 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung PM961 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£235.55 @ Novatech)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G Video Card (£739.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid Tower Case (£102.96 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£185.65 @ More Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit (£99.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £2220.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-18 11:34 BST+0100

Just to show where I'd spend the rest of the budget if you choose to do so. At that budget 2400 ram makes no sense this was 6quid more. That SSD is actually a bit faster in most that a Normal user runs into. Added a better and good bit quiter CPU cooler. Admittedly ugly as sin, but there is nothing quiter of noticably better for any sane price. I believe the PSU I added to be better both in terms of warranty (10 years can put it in next build Easily) and quiter.

Solution
if u r gonna go with that monitor, i would suggest nothing less than a 1080ti :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£305.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£75.95 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£164.97 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£137.50 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£221.94 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme Video Card (£799.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£124.43 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: FSP Group Hydro G 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£81.18 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Total: £1971.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-18 13:21 BST+0100

but the thing is, that samsung is a freesync monitor. if u r gonna get ur rig now, the 1080ti is the only choice. but if u can wait, i would recommend the flasgship vega from AMD.

dwstern

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

dwstern

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

It is a nice looking case - thanks for the suggestions, and for your reasons.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I love random downvotes for something that's 100% accurate from people not even in the convo lol. Every build listed will work fine and you'll eek a bit less noise and a bit more performance out of them in the order they price out. Just depends what a few frames or a few decibels mean to you

dwstern

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017

Cheers again, Supahos. That was odd, wasn't it? And I definitely prefer a couple fewer decibels over a couple more frames per second. Thanks for also showing (by example) how to export a set of parts from PCPartPicker. Kicking myself for more or less hand-typing the parts in my OP >.<. Your way is much better.:)

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah I'd be a lot less helpful on here if I had to type everything lol. Nothing will be quiter than my build. Everything is top notch and 3 fans are almost always quiter than 2 (if similar quality anyway) for the GPU. The GPU will definitely be the loudest thing in the case no matter which build you pick. You can always downclock it a tad to make it quiter CPU if left stock you'll never hear that dh15 cooler