Question Any issues to consider before installing Ubuntu?

Jun 5, 2019
Windows 7 Home Premium on 64 bit, Satellite P875-S7200 6gb RAM 511gb Free, 170gb used. Lightweight use for browsing, office type apps, cell phone sync music. Just want to know if my laptop will handle it or any known issues. thanks

Thing is - Ubuntu - or some of it's flavours - is downloaded as Live-CD iso's. That is you can boot up and actually use Linux without acually installing it, and without touching the contents of other storage units (unless intentionally used to access other drives).

Just be aware that booting from CD/DVD or USB2 make it very slow compared to when it is installed on disk.

Anyway - the most important thing is to make backup of your files.

Another thing I recommend is to take disk image backup of previous system (windows and all files) onto a external hdd in case you would like to change back. You can use Clonezilla to do that.

Reactions: gtownrez

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As a beginner I would work with some distros/favor in a virtual machine (like Oracle's Virtual Box) first without dualbooting the laptop.

The 6GB RAM might be a bit small for a VM but many popular light Linux distros/falvors run with a single CPU core and 1-2GB of RAM allocated to a VM pretty well.

If you like one of them then you can install on laptop and dualboot with Windows and so on.

Reactions: gtownrez