Any issues with 8GB of ram

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I am currently running 4GB of OCZ Reaper PC8500 and saw I could get another 4GB for 99.00 after rebate on ZipZoomfly, so I went ahead and ordered it. I read the article on Tom's about running 8GB and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with software or any issue running 8GB? I know it's overkill, but I also know as supplies of DDR2 dwindle the price will go up. I would like to eliminate my swap file entirely so this is a good way to ensure I have plenty of memory.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I havent got 8gb of RAM but more than likley you will have to increase voltage in the BIOS to slightly above that of what the RAM is rated to run stable.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Works great.
I didn't have to raise voltage at stock speeds but others have had too.
and I too run without swap file.

good luck!

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
no you shouldn't have to raise any voltages to run 8 gigs of RAM. The problem with running more than 2 gigs of RAM is what operating system you are using. If you are using a 32 bit version of windows then it will only register 3.?? of ram. If you are using a 64 bit version of windows then you should not have any problems what so ever of running 8 gigs of RAM

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I only use a 2gig swap file right now on my d: drive. I will turn if off completely when I get my other 4gigs in.

I have 8 GB, and it works great. Check out the OCZ forums - there's a couple stickys on the subject.

I don't really think eliminating the swap file entirely is all that great an idea, tho - Some programs look for it and get fussy when it's not there. Instead, turn it way down - mine is at 512MB.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Pepends on your definition of "completely" is. You can't remove "swap file completely". It's the Virtual Memory setting. You can select "No paging File" but you still have a file.
Thanks, Scotteq. I have to keep that in mind.
edit: v-- better ...

drumr1829

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007

In XP:
Right click My computer > Properties > Advanced > Settings under Performance > Advanced > Change under Virtual Memory > No paging file radio button.

Not sure in vista because I dont have it in front of me but it's more or less the same path....and yes, I wouldn't delete pagefile.sys

With 8Gig of RAM, you're probably safe... Issues occur in situations where the swap file would be needed, and if there isn't one the results are rather..... inelegant.

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
You need to keep a small page file. Some programs(older and newer) look for it and give you a fantastic BSOD with out one. I figured this out the hard way. I currently have a 512mb pagefile with my 8GB ram. System is smoother than a babys ass.(Vista Ultimate 64)

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
What is the best way to view how much memory is used? Is there such thing as free-memory anymore? My widget memory indicator hardly ever moves ...