[SOLVED] Any issues with this combo?

christian_94

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Someone in my area is selling an i9-9900k because he claims his set up is more geared to an i7-8700k. He's willing to trade for an 8700k plus some cash.
I have a 8700k, with an ASRock Z390 taichi and 32GB of DDR4 3000 RAM. So would using the i9-9900k cause any noticeable issues?

Solution
I didn't think there would be but the guy saying his system was more optimized to the 8700k I thought I should check first.
His statement sounds suspicious. I can think of two reasons why a system would be better optimized for an i7-8700K rather than a 9900K, and neither are very good reasons to trade.

1.) Not enough power from the PSU for the 9900K. But given that scenario, he probably shouldn't be using an i7-8700K either.

2.) Save money. Even with this, swapping it out after the fact does not save money.

There is the assumption he has a slower GPU than he thinks he should have, but even at that he'd still be losing money on the trade for practically no gain and a small loss in performance. I suppose there is the...
I didn't think there would be but the guy saying his system was more optimized to the 8700k I thought I should check first.
His statement sounds suspicious. I can think of two reasons why a system would be better optimized for an i7-8700K rather than a 9900K, and neither are very good reasons to trade.

1.) Not enough power from the PSU for the 9900K. But given that scenario, he probably shouldn't be using an i7-8700K either.

2.) Save money. Even with this, swapping it out after the fact does not save money.

There is the assumption he has a slower GPU than he thinks he should have, but even at that he'd still be losing money on the trade for practically no gain and a small loss in performance. I suppose there is the possibility that you are giving him a reasonable sum of money for the trade, in which case he might just want that money.

Solution