[SOLVED] Any light OS to run this crap N3050 laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancelotsan

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
Everyone, please help me.

I have cheap Asus Laptop:
CPU: Inter Celeron N3050 1.6GHz
RAM: 4,00 GB DDR3

I use this laptop for Excel, Word and Web Browser. However…

It runs very slow on Win 10. I cant even browse internet without waiting almost minute for loading the page. Meanwhile the CPU is almost always at 100% usage.

I tried to install Win 7 to it. Finally, I did it, but the laptop still very slow ( although it really faster than Win 10 a little).
-----------

I don’t want to upgrade SSD, because it is too expensive for this crap laptop. By the way, some other guys like me did it, and he say that it actually just faster around 10% on Win 10.

So, my only choice now may be to find some other OS, which light and faster.

I think about Win Xp. However, everyone say that these new laptop today always refuse that old OS.

So, anyone know any free and light OS for this laptop? The OS which:
  • Can use Word and Excel file.
  • Can run fast Web Brower ( I usually work on Youtube, Tomshardware, shopping online,…)
  • Hope it can install some software like XnView, VLC Media Player?
Summary, it cost less CPU usage than even Win 7.

Thank you for help.😢

Solution
Linux is your best option. Linux is a free OS and can be installed on almost any device.
https://ubuntu.com/#download

CLick the 18.04 LTS in the 'Ubuntu desktop' section.

It doesn't have word or excel specifically, but the linux equivalent of those programs is Libreoffice for word and Libreoffice calc for excel. Also xnview and vlc should have linux compatibility.

It's all free and will definitely use less CPU. The only downside is that you will not get to use any windows based applications that you may want or have grown accustomed to. Also you may have to learn how to navigate on Linux not just through the GUI but through the terminal (console window). This includes setting super users with admin privileges, installing...
Linux is your best option. Linux is a free OS and can be installed on almost any device.
https://ubuntu.com/#download

CLick the 18.04 LTS in the 'Ubuntu desktop' section.

It doesn't have word or excel specifically, but the linux equivalent of those programs is Libreoffice for word and Libreoffice calc for excel. Also xnview and vlc should have linux compatibility.

It's all free and will definitely use less CPU. The only downside is that you will not get to use any windows based applications that you may want or have grown accustomed to. Also you may have to learn how to navigate on Linux not just through the GUI but through the terminal (console window). This includes setting super users with admin privileges, installing applications that are .tar based. It's not for a novice but it will get job done effectively.

Solution

Lancelotsan

Commendable
Jul 8, 2019
Requirement of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS:

2 GHz dual core processor or better
  • 4 GB system memory
  • 25 GB of free hard drive space
  • Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
  • Internet access is helpful
N3050 just have 1.6Ghz. May be it still slow.
Do we have anyway to download the old version of Ubuntu? Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan

It runs very slow on Win 10. I cant even browse internet without waiting almost minute for loading the page. Meanwhile the CPU is almost always at 100% usage.
I have an Asus Transformer with similar specs, running Win 10 Pro.

While slow, it is not nearly that bad.

While a slimmer Linux install might help, that does nothing for your Word and Excel
Unless you want to jump to OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

If you can't live without Word or Excel, just use an MS account and use the web based versions of those (i.e. when you log into your outlook account).

If you prefer Ubuntu, you may want to install Ubuntu Mate that is less demanding than the "official" variant that use Gnome desktop.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019

I tried to install Win 7 to it. Finally, I did it, but the laptop still very slow ( although it really faster than Win 10 a little).
-----------

I don’t want to upgrade SSD, because it is too expensive for this crap laptop. By the way, some other guys like me did it, and he say that it actually just faster around 10% on Win 10.

So, my only choice now may be to find some other OS, which light and faster.

I think about Win Xp. However, everyone say that these new laptop today always refuse that old OS.

So, anyone know any free and light OS for this laptop? The OS which:
  • Can use Word and Excel file.
  • Can run fast Web Brower ( I usually work on Youtube, Tomshardware, shopping online,…)
  • Hope it can install some software like XnView, VLC Media Player?
Summary, it cost less CPU usage than even Win 7.

Thank you for help.😢
Rather than download an old version of ubuntu, you could try a lightweight version of linux, e.g. lubuntu:
That's worked for me in the past for some old PCs that just weren't up to windows 10.
For Word and Excel, you would need to use a free office equivalent - similar, but different file formats (you'll need to convert existing files on opening), somewhat different user interface.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.