Any memory chip soldering experts around? I need h

G

I've got a motherboard by Asus P/I-P55TVP4 (old) socket-7 with 512k L2 cahce onboard.

I think it is running of 4 chip, 2 of which is coded U1 and 5

UMC
UM61-3264F-6 (the last -6 could be nanoseconds i.e. 166Mhz)
9715S B3674 (or the 15S could be 15ns i.e. 66Mhz)
100 pins in all

2 of which is coded U2 and 6
PCIset
S82438VX
L6500268
Intel MC'95
100 pins in all
(this one have no hint about timing? not even sure if its a RAM apart from the label U2 and 6)

I have a broken Voodoo Banshee from a friend with 8 memory chip each labeled U1 to 8, 2MB each, since Banshee is 16MB. They are 8ns from
Elite
9846S -8Q (-8Q=8ns=124Mhz)
M32L1632512A BA70G-BA

Can I or is it possible to swop the memories from Banshee to the mobo?

I know the mobo is Pipeline Burt Write back, but don't know about the Banshee.

I was thinking if the 4 memory chip can be swopped, then my L2 cache will be 8MB which theoretically will give a huge performance boost.

Another worry - is the original cache really 6ns=166Mhz? or they should be 15ns=66Mhz?

Since this mobo is back in the old days I think 66Mhz is more like it.

I heard of the procedure to solder the chips is to use a powerful quick soldering purpose used hot air gun, which I can get hold of and have fair confident I can change at least 1 without failing it.

However getting all 4 succesfully changed is some what a big challenge.

Anyway, I want to do just for the sake of it, for fun, for learning etc. This is very exciting, the usual overclocking of K7 is boring now. O/C graphics card also boring now.

Its a shame I am no programmer or else I could try making my own BIOS. Well thats later until I graduate and have free time.

I am sure there must be other issues of voltage compatibility etc so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
cx5

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Sounds very ambitious - I think your biggest problem is going to be getting your processor talking to a cache it doesn't know is there - I think the architecture will be geared to point a certain sizes for any number of complicated technical reasons - otherwise we'd all have really fast 8MB cache - why does the Xeon cost so much if not for the 1MB cache?

-Your Comany Names Could Be Here-
e-mail for application details.

G

I thought the xeon is expensive only because the cache runs at full CPU as oppose to old slot type 1/2 CPU speed and this and that.

I thought about the addressing bit, and thinks a newly programmed BIOS might do the trick.

But then again hoped that the L2 cahce like regular RAM does not need too much control and that the system will automatically go there to use it!

Best regards
cx5

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Well - good luck to you - if it works I guess you'll p!ss off a few board makers and stand to be very popular!!!

Be interested to know how you get on!

Pete

-Your Comany Names Could Be Here-
e-mail for application details.

G

The L2 cache cannot be modified as added with the stick card at the moment because they are controlled or addressed by a WINBOND chip where 8k or 16k TAG RAM can address 256k or 512k respectively.

Only mobo with a 32k TAG RAM can add another 512k cache.

For me I was thinking of solder 8MB for fun, so I will give up for me. I'll need to get a WINBOND that have 16 times more TAG RAM that what my 512k is.

The information was obtained from asus website.

Best regards
cx5